How do I transfer content from an old iPhone to my s6?
Jillpickle
Enthusiast - Level 1

So tomorrow my new iPhone (6s) is coming in the mail and I want my stuff on the new one, and my mom is getting my old phone(had flip phone), are these the steps I do to make it work?

1. Do iCloud backup on old

2. Restore from new iphone

3. Reset old phone

4. Mom takes in my old phone and her flip phone into a verizon store and they get her number on it

Is that right?

Also I have a few questions:

1. When I reset my old phone with my stuff on the new one will it delete the stuff on the new one?

2. Could my mom get her pictures from her flip phone to my old phone?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Clarify A Few Things?
Weth
Legend

Some clarifications and additions

1A. Sign out of iCloud and Find My iPhone on old phone

2. Restore from new iPhone

2A. Confirm you got everything you need on new iPhone before going to step 3

3. Reset old phone - Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings

4. Mom takes in my old phone and her flip phone into a verizon store and they get her a number on it

4A. Since you are giving her a iPhone 4, it can be activated on line or by a phone call with no visit to Verizon. No SIM card is needed.

1. When I reset my old phone with my stuff on the new one will it delete the stuff on the new one?

No, but that is a good reason to sign out of iCloud as I added in step 1A. Once you do that, iCloud can't see what is happening on the phone.

In a round-about way. You would have to download them to a computer. With the iCloud beta site, you can upload the photos to her icloud photo library

https://beta.icloud.com/#

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Jillpickle,

Congrats on your new iPhone 6S! We know making sure that your information is backed and restored is critical. It's wonderful that you are giving your old phone to your Mom. We can help. What device do you currently have? What make/model phone does your Mom currently have? Based on this information we can provide the best transfer options.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Jillpickle
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the iPhone 4 and my mom has the

Samsung Intensity® III Steel Gray (Had to copy and paste)

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Some clarifications and additions

1A. Sign out of iCloud and Find My iPhone on old phone

2. Restore from new iPhone

2A. Confirm you got everything you need on new iPhone before going to step 3

3. Reset old phone - Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings

4. Mom takes in my old phone and her flip phone into a verizon store and they get her a number on it

4A. Since you are giving her a iPhone 4, it can be activated on line or by a phone call with no visit to Verizon. No SIM card is needed.

No, but that is a good reason to sign out of iCloud as I added in step 1A. Once you do that, iCloud can't see what is happening on the phone.

In a round-about way. You would have to download them to a computer. With the iCloud beta site, you can upload the photos to her icloud photo library

https://beta.icloud.com/#

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I edited my post since at first I did not know you were giving her an iPhone 4.

The change is:

0 Likes
Jillpickle
Enthusiast - Level 1

What phone would she call it on and if she called it on mine would it still be my number?

0 Likes
Jillpickle
Enthusiast - Level 1

(My old one)

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

When you get your new iPhone (enjoy by the way!), turn off your old iPhone 4. Then activate the new iPhone 6S, making sure your iPhone 4 is completely OFF. Now with your new 6S activated, call Verizon customer service and have them activate your old iPhone 4 on your mom's number. When you are doing this, make sure she has her old basic phone turned off.

Jillpickle
Enthusiast - Level 1

One more thing, since I ordered my new phone from verizon will the new phone have the number that I upgraded?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yes. You are going to an LTE phone, and the big difference is the new phones use a SIM card. Yours will come with a SIM card already installed and ready to activate on your line. Sometimes you need to call CS if it doesn't activate right away, but usually goes very smoothly. It will have the same number as your iPhone 4, which is why it is important to completely turn off the iPhone 4 (press and hold the power/wake button on the top until you see a slider come up to turn the phone off) before you try activation.

0 Likes