How do I use my iPhone 6s internationally?
LagunaGirl

I'm traveling to France and England next month for 12 days and considering using Travel Pass ($10 per day) on my iPhone 6 plus.  How should I configure my iPhone Settings while I'm traveling? How should I set Roaming (Data only?) and Enable LTE (Voice and Data?).  Should I keep my phone in Airplane Mode when not using? Any other Settings I should change while traveling?

This is my first experience using my cell phone while traveling and there is lots of confusion in the message boards.  Specific details would be most appreciated!  

I'm also considering the option of getting a SIM card instead of using my Verizon plan but I am totally ignorant as to what this requires.  Where would I buy it and how do I use it?  Is it a separate phone (like a disposable camera)?  Or do I use it with my existing phone?  Again, specifics would be most appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: International Travel Settings for iPhone 6p
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LagunaGirl, sounds like you have a pretty awesome trip coming up. I want to make sure that we get the chance to answer all of your concerns. The TravelPass would be a great options while traveling outside the country. It would work both in France and England.  It would be $10 per day that you use the phone in these areas. It would then allow you to use the device just like you would here in the United Stated without any roaming fees. You would want to make sure the airplane mode is turned off, and that your data roaming is set for voice and data. You can always find more details on the TravelPass by following this link: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-travel-faqs/#travelpass1

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LagunaGirl, sounds like you have a pretty awesome trip coming up. I want to make sure that we get the chance to answer all of your concerns. The TravelPass would be a great options while traveling outside the country. It would work both in France and England.  It would be $10 per day that you use the phone in these areas. It would then allow you to use the device just like you would here in the United Stated without any roaming fees. You would want to make sure the airplane mode is turned off, and that your data roaming is set for voice and data. You can always find more details on the TravelPass by following this link: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-travel-faqs/#travelpass1

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Your iPhone is capable of using a prepaid SIM card in those countries. 

the tie breaker is:

will you need your phone enough to pay for either service  or is it worth a possible charge is you use a text or two?

do you need to keep you US number in case of contact from the US?

WIll you need to use your phone a lot and $10 a day is a good deal?

HAve fun with the math.  In the end, it's supposed to be a vacation, so go with whatever is less stressful.

0 Likes
massachusetts123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Original question and feedback is excellent. Thank you for posting it. Especially that the information continues to be as confusing on the Verizon website today,  August 2019.  Extremely frustrating.  Would be great if Verizon could provide continuity of instruction across the board on the website and Internet.

I want to add more to the original question--

I have Iphone SE via Verizon,  PrePaid Plan, I will have Travel Pass for some days. I will be in Paris, France and will be calling U.S.(home) AND within Paris and surroundings. I understand that I have SIM card.

1.  Does the below reply/explanation for the settings while in France remain the same today-- August 2019?  And are these instructions the same for PrePaid iphones as well as PostPaid iphones with Verizon?

2. Are the settings the same as below for calls made WITHIN Paris and surroundings?

3. About WIFI.   I'm hoping to use Travel Pass just on certain days (which is much less than my stay there).  To continue using the iphone/verizon free, I understand that if I am in WIFI zone (like at a relative's home),  I can turn off Travel Pass for that day and use WIFI for same FREE calling to U.S. and within Paris and surroundings.  Is that true?

4. How does a SIM card affect use of phone.  I believe the original poster says she doesn't not have SIM card. So that confuses me.  Will that change these instructions?

I need genuine instruction as I cannot afford any extra fees. I appreciate it so much! Thank you!

Massachusetts

0 Likes