How do you back-up your old iPhone (4s) to prepare for setting up the new iPhone 6?
DarcyMaty
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not sure how to back-up the old iPhones to transfer all of the content to the new iPhone 6's.  If you use the cloud....do you have to buy more storage? What all does it back-up? Pictures? Contacts? Aps? Game progress in aps?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do you back-up your old iPhone (4s) to prepare for setting up the new iPhone 6?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to back up your iPhone! When you use iCloud it will back up pictures, contacts, apps, settings, etc. What iPhone do you have? There are two ways you can backup the phone. Via iTunes or iCloud. Please let us know which phone you are needing to backup.

ErinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: How do you back-up your old iPhone (4s) to prepare for setting up the new iPhone 6?
dad_23
Contributor - Level 1

If you do not have enough space for your pics or such in the cloud, plug your phone into your computer and view the files.  You can manually copy pics and such off the phone to a folder on your computer.

0 Likes
DarcyMaty
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am very confused on how to do this without cross-contaminating all of the phones on our plan.

I have four phones on my plan. We all use the same iTunes account, but none of the phones ever get plugged into a computer to back them up.

Only one of the phones has ever been backed up using the iCloud. The only reason we backed up that one was because we had to replace it under warranty when the home button failed. It was an iPhone 5C.

I am not sure if all four phones have the same iCloud account or not (or even if they have iCloud accounts).

The two phones that I want to back-up are iPhone 4S’s.

I don’t know what to do……

0 Likes
Not applicable

Please note that using the same Apple ID and Password on all your devices is not recommended.

Your photos, etc are backed up to icloud under that user ID and password.

The cross contamination is that you are using 4 devices all sharing the same ID but not used by that one user that owns the Apple ID.

http://www.icloud.com

You can see the devices that are sharing the information, and programs there.

Take each device and start your own Apple ID this way getting all your information back on the new device is much easier.

The device you purchase once activated with your apple ID and password will have the music, photos, contacts all available for sync to the new device once the other device(s) are wiped back to original state. (No apple ID or password on the device(s) )

Good Luck

0 Likes
DarcyMaty
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am sorry, but now am more confused.

I own the Verizon account and have an iPhone 5S. My three kids are on the same account and have one iPhone 5C and two iPhones 4S’s. We all use the same iTunes account. Otherwise, we would not be able to have access to purchased content, right? I also would not be able to locate them with find my iPhone either, would I? (big deal for a mom with teenage boys). ☺

0 Likes
Not applicable

Alas that is true. Don't want you confused

You are using the same Find My iPhone for a family locator I was not aware of that. Additionally as you noted the iTunes purchases and music and photos etc. are all synced to all devices sharing the Apple ID and password.

In this case all is not lost, a simple reset of your device (old one) and then signing up during set up to the new iPhone will sync everything to that device. Should go OK

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone

This web site can further assist with your issues if need be.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

In iTunes, each device has a name and will show separately. The names are in the phones. Like "John's iPhone 5s" or "Sally's iPhone 5c". Just make sure the names are not all the same. Most just say "iPhone 5" by default. The 2 5c phones need a different name. You can change the name in settings>General>About>Name Change the name if need be. Then in iTunes, it will recognize each device and each will have it's own back up.

0 Likes