Re: Huge data spike this week.
Synera34

Dear Verizon,

The point I think this person is trying to make is that they have not changed their (or their phone's) habits, yet the amount of data used has increased this week.

I'm having the same issue with my iPhone 6 as well here in Kentucky. My phone gets really hot lately when I open an app such as the Weather Channel, etc. This is also seriously draining my phone's battery like crazy!! Again, I'm not doing anything more than I normally would. I don't watch videos unless I'm on WiFi, etc.

I believe the question is, is this an issue with Verizon's towers? Or could this possibly be an issue with the latest iOS 8.3 update, making this an Apple issue?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The point is you as the user need to do some basic debugging before coming to conspiracy theories.  There are many things that can cause this.  It is possible that an email is stuck in the upload or download and using up data, it is possible that there is an update program that is stuck in updating and using up the data and there is a potential that up program is crashed and is using up data. And that's just the smallest. That's why we first ask people to check their phone and report what app is using data it's debug 101.   It's very difficult to just come on here and say I'm using more data I haven't changed anything it's Verizon's fault. In some cases it maybe but in most cases it's actually the phone or the user. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I can appreciate your concern, Andrios. Have you checked out the data utilization tool review what types of services are consuming the most data? ( vzw.com/datautilization ) You will need to log into My Verizon to review this information. 
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

I have been posting this off and on over the last ~2 years on the iPhone 5/5c/5s forums, its in regards to the iPhone 5C I was using during that time.

Not sure how much of this is relevant on the 6 models... but I think you might find some of the info I present here useful.

I was using the iphone 5C as recently as 1 week go, so despite this video being almost 2 years old, much of my talking points are still valid.

Good Luck though!!!... Oh and take the time to read through the question-discussions too, theres some good information exchange.

!!WARNING!! iPhone 5C Verizon... Monitor your data usage!!! - YouTube

0 Likes
B33
Legend

hmm..  looked at the Video it was posted a Year AGO.!   you would think there might be some changes to help control over Data usage from then, there maybe but it might not be working.. it may be something for ones to look into..

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

This is the "Borg-Matrix" that is the cell phone industry.  Everyone from the cell phone manufacturers to the service providers to the app developers... they all want to force how consumers use data.  The cash cow for them is in data streaming, data download, and cloud remote storage... subscription / service based data usage.  Everyone in the supply and service chain benefits $$$$ from consumers who subscribe to these services and gobble up cell data.  Apple is probably the most guilty party with no SD memory expansion, and the premiums they charge for iPhones with additional internal memory capacity.  Of course iTunes, iCloud, iMessage... they all feed $$$ back into the system with how they drive up  consumer data usage.  Unless you manually take measures to dial them back.

Its an indirect payback... cellular providers like carrying iphones because they consume so much cell-data.  It forces consumers to subscribe to higher-G data plans, or monthly over-charges.  Every provider who carries iphones, gets the added perk of increased cellular traffic and the $$$$ rolls in.  Either that or like me, you have a completely neutered and dumbed-down iphone.

So you as a consumer have to figure out... how do you want to spend your $$$, and how do you want to manage your data.  Does it bother you on a philosophical level assimilating into the Borg-Matrix?... or do you believe in localized end-user data control and storage that YOU get to pick from and chose?  Do you want a full-featured, cellular-rich phone that you can easily control?  Or are you happy with a Rogue device, out of control in the background doing what the Matrix is telling it to do?

I have now been a part of BOTH worlds and for me.... absolutely its a better world being unplugged and in control of my Android phone on a Sony xperia Z3

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Resistance is futile

muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

LOL.... I chose the red pill....

The Matrix (1999) - The Pill scene - YouTube

JWSCHULZE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Be very wary folks as I have seen a huge data spikes in my plan as well. Been through 6 hours of support calls and two store visits. They did offer to increase my plan for a reasonable price in which we had to take since I did not want to pay overages. Sure does seem tough that we have to pay in order to protect ourselves from overages that cannot be fully explained.

Headed to the county court in the morning to get the paperwork filed for a subpoena for the actual data records. 

0 Likes
JWSCHULZE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here. 4 GB used in 3 minute time span after visiting a store. This was spread between two phones. One was not in use at the time.

Verizon is not going to be much help with these spikes as they are limited in what they can tell you.

Go down to your local courthouse and fill out the required paperwork. Then submit that to Verizon to subpoena your data records for that specific day. That will give you the details on the usage.

Good luck!

In case you have the iphone bug Smiley Happy

How to Reduce Your iPhone’s Cellular Data Usage

0 Likes