I'm having issues with WIFI dropping off and going over on my data package. I've looked over my data usage spreadsheet and can see data being used even when at home or work which is always on WIFI. Any tips or ways to prevent this from happening? Phone
jessdarl

I'm having issues with WIFI dropping off and going over on my data package.  I've looked over my data usage spreadsheet and can see data being used even when at home or work which is always on WIFI.  Any tips or ways to prevent this from happening?  Phone is set to automatically join networks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I'm having issues with WIFI dropping off and going over on my data package.  I've looked over my data usage spreadsheet and can see data being used even when at home or work which is always on WIFI.  Any tips or ways to prevent this from happening?  P
Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

1. I do not know if any of this will help you or not. I am having a similar issue with my wife's iPhone 5c 8GB. And from what I have read here, there are a plenty other iPhone users having the same issue. So you are not alone with this issue.

2. I have had a lot of people tell me to adjust this setting or other. Which is at best just a band-aide solution. However, the most helpful advise I have gotten from a Verizon Rep is "By design, iPhones do turn off WiFi when they go dormant, so if a download is in progress or information is being back-up wirelessly, and the phone goes dormant, it will switch to use cellular data if it is left on". And I have gotten or read the same information from the Apple Support Forum also, which back-up what the Verizon Rep said.

3. However, I was told afterwards that to prevent this from happening, you would need to keep your iPhone connected to a power source. On both the Verizon and Apple Support Forum each, stated that this would prevent the iPhone from going dormant. And after trying this with my wife's iPhone, it has helped the most in reducing her data usage so far.

4. Now about the issue concerning your Verizon Data Usage Spreadsheet, showing usage when you believe there should not be any, you need to understand about the cell towers. You can not go by the date/time stamp on this log, as being the exact date/time of the usage. Because, by design the cell towers will hold or store certain data usage for a six-hour period, before releasing it to the Verizon servers to be recorded on your Verizon Data Usage Spreadsheet.

5. If you will look at your Verizon Data Usage Spreadsheet, you should see a possible six-hour pattern of data usage. Like you I brainwork that I had Verizon by the tail, with some odd ball date/time stamps data usage. Only to learn, that I was mistaken about it all. ....

0 Likes