Incentives for iPhone 6S Pre-Orders?
Dridas
Enthusiast - Level 3

Simply put- will their be any incentives for pre-orders of the iPhone 6S or 6S+ through Verizon?

I was reviewing the math for the Apple iPhone Upgrade plan, and it looks like if you plan to purchase AppleCare+ with the phone, then the difference in costs is negligible, and with Apple you can upgrade after 12 months. While you don't get to keep the phone until you make the 24th payment, it's the same with Verizon anyways- therefore Apple vs Verizon- it seems like the better deal is the upgrade plan with Apple- if you like the flexibility of being able to upgrade when the iPhone 7 comes out next year.

So- will there be any incentives to pre-order through Verizon vice Apple?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Incentives for iPhone 6S Pre-Orders?
themrsgriz
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I understand correctly, going through Verizon allows you to get a $25/month bill credit if you switch to the Device Payment Plan. So you might as well subtract $25 from the monthly payment listed, meaning you could get the base model for roughly $2/month more than you're currently paying.

Verizon also gives you the phone as soon as you make 24 payments so you can pay it off at the 1 year mark, upgrade to the next model when released, and sell the iPhone 6s

Dridas
Enthusiast - Level 3

All of my phones are off contract (3), and 2 are on device payment. The $25/month bill credit is already on the account, and therefore, if I upgrade through Verizon or through Apple- my bill will increase by the device payment anyways.

It seems doing it through Verizon is actually not financially the best decision, if the intent is to upgrade to the iPhone 7 when it is released next year. It winds up costing an additional $194 to go through Verizon, and perhaps even more, depending on how the taxes are figured. That's why I asked if there were any incentives through VZ for the upgrade, that might match or beat the Apply iPhone Upgrade plan.

Assuming the purchase of an iPhone 6S (16GB) with Apple Care+, the cost after 1 year = $453.96

Same assumption through Apple iPhone Upgrade with Apple Care+ cost after 1 year = $388.92

The $194 cost difference is the cost the difference (453-388) + $129 for the Apple Care+ on the iPhone 7, if purchased through VZ. Keep in mind, that after 12 months through VZ, I'd have to pay off the remaining 12 months, pay taxes again, and purchase the Apple Care+ again. Yes, their would be a trade-in credit, but it'd likely only be about $200 through VZ, but I saw that Gazelle will give $350 for a iPhone 6 that is flawless. That'd cover the device payment for the next 12 months, but doesn't help on the price of Apple Care+.

So, the question still remains- mathematically, for me, the Apple plan seems to work best, and I was curious if VZW was going to join the iPhone upgrade offers and plans that other networks and Apple are putting out there?

Weth
Legend

The few scenarios I priced out using a More Everything Plan with month to month discount and 6GB or more of data agrees with Dridas, the Apple monthly plan works out better -- if you are planning to get AppleCare+ and you are planning to get a new phone every year.

0 Likes
bigddy23

Apple care comes with the upgrade program. Your not paying for Apple care. The price of the upgrade includes apple care.

0 Likes
Dridas
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apple Care is an option when you purchase the phone from VZW.  I think its a wise choice to purchase the plan, and therefore it is part of my purchasing decision.

bigddy23

If you upgrade @ Apple the Apple care is part of the upgrade and included in the monthly plan. However, if you buy the phone outright then you would be responsible for Apple care.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

bigddy23 wrote:

Apple care comes with the upgrade program. Your not paying for Apple care. The price of the upgrade includes apple care.

It is important to understand that with the iPhone Upgrade payment program, the price of Apple Care + is built into the monthly cost and is not included for free. If you take the per month cost on the program and multiply by 24, it is the price of the iPhone plus the $129 for Apple Care +

0 Likes
bigddy23

Yes, but if you turn it in annually then there is a savings. I agree paying 24 mo you are paying for the phone plus apple care. If you do it annually the Apple upgrade will benefit you.

0 Likes
bigddy23

Here is a link that should clear up a lot of questions......

Apple’s iPhone Upgrade Program vs. the big four carriers’ payment plans | Ars Technica

0 Likes