Iphone 6s and 8 can't text non-iphones in poor coverage, worked on ATT, total runaround from Verizon
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm starting to think I made a mistake in switching to Verizon.  I explained in the store that I had an AT&T microcell due to poor/no coverage in the house, and even with wifi calling I can't text Android phones without it.  They danced a bit, but led me to believe that Verizon tech support could offer similar capability with a service extender.  Several epic calls later, tech support has not provided a service extender or solved the problem.  So here I am, 4 months in, and I can't reliably text or group text if one of the targets is an Android phone.  So questions:

1. How do I get the ability to text, which was working flawlessly until I switched to Verizon, without switching back to AT&T?

2. Why can't Verizon be honest that they are not going to provide a microcell/extender instead of keeping you on the phone through 3 levels of tech support?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Iphone 6s and 8 can't text non-iphones in poor coverage, worked on ATT, total runaround from Verizon
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I finally got this resolved!!  Verizon said my house is in a "marginal coverage area", and they provided a network extender. Setup was easy, and now text works the way it's supposed to.  This only happened after I contacted the B B B, and insisted that the issue had to be resolved before I would  close it out.  Thanks Verizon!

View solution in original post

Re: Iphone 6s and 8 can't text non-iphones in poor coverage, worked on ATT, total runaround from Verizon
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also find this, which suggests there isn't a solution at all without coverage (e.g. the extender they aren't willing to provide):

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/iPhone-7/Why-can-t-I-send-pictures-to-non-iPhone-users/m-p/...

If that's the case, why hasn't anyone in support (or the Verizon shop that sold me three phones) said they can't do that?

0 Likes
Re: Iphone 6s and 8 can't text n
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are dedicated to offering you the complete support you deserve and I apologize for the experience. I can confirm that SMS texts and MMS picture messages do require an adequate cellular connection in order to transmit the messages in or out. The Verizon Messages app is available in the App Store and will allow you to use the Integrated Messaging feature to enable SMS and MMS over Wi-Fi outside of the native Messages app. Here is a link woth more information about the app and service: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-messages-faqs/#intro.  To furhter review your network concerns, does the cellular service imporve as soon as you leave your house?   - YaleK_VZW

0 Likes
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Our neighborhood shows red on the Verizon coverage chart, but it's behind a hill so there isn't really coverage. Using a proprietary app that not everyone has doesn't seem like a solution. If I'm in a group txt or just trying to text someone I can't exactly call them all and say "hey, could you download this app?"  What would solve the problem would be coverage at my house. Which Verizon assured me would be addressed by tech support with a network extender when I signed up for service and three phones. Clearly being able to text from my house, which i could do with AT&T is not an unreasonable expectation. I'd also be open to a return of the phones with balance waived so I can switch back if that's the only solution. 

0 Likes
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

To your other question: Service does not improve going outside. If I walk to the end of the driveway (about 150' away) I can sometimes get a bar or two. 

0 Likes
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

To your other question: Service does not improve going outside. If I walk to the end of the driveway (about 150' away) I can sometimes get a bar or two. 

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Per your customer agreement- You'll need to switch back if there's a carrier that provides better coverage where you need it. Devices can be returned within 14 days of purchase 

0 Likes
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

We're now 4 months in, so a standard return is not an option. I contacted tech support as instructed right after I got the phones and was led to believe that Version would provide a network extender for this location. I can see on Verizon's website that it exists, and it seems like that's the obvious solution, true?   What does it take to get one?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sharing those additional details with us, bbbradlepc. I understand you have to walk to the end of your driveway for service. You also mentioned you live behind a hill. There can be factors that may affect your service experience, for example, cell site changes, foliage, construction, population changes, and interference. I understand you advised us of your home placement when you started service with us. To better assist you with your service concerns, we will need to gain access to your wireless account. I've sent you a Private Note, and look forward to working with you.

ChakiaH_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for confirming! Do you have Wi-Fi service at home? We could look into Network extender options to help improve your service while inside! MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes