Re: Iphone 6s and 8 can't text n
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, thanks,  we have cable internet with wired and wireless Ethernet in the house. 

0 Likes
Re: Iphone 6s and 8 can't text non-iphones in poor coverage, worked on ATT, total runaround from Verizon
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I finally got this resolved!!  Verizon said my house is in a "marginal coverage area", and they provided a network extender. Setup was easy, and now text works the way it's supposed to.  This only happened after I contacted the B B B, and insisted that the issue had to be resolved before I would  close it out.  Thanks Verizon!

Re: Iphone 6s and 8 can't text non-iphones in poor coverage, worked on ATT, total runaround from Verizon
mama23dogs
Legend

Glad it's resolved, but an extender should not have been required.

I don't think you had Wifi calling on.  

If you had Wifi calling turned on you can text any kind of phone.  Makes me think your phone was using iMessage/FaceTime calls, which is not Wifi text/calling, and would not go to an android.  
If you set up Wifi calling, it works anywhere you have a Wifi connection but poor/no cell signal.  

How to set it up ⤵️
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Then test by unplugging the extender and call your friend with an android phone.   Unless your phones are defective, Wifi calling works better than the extender, mostly because it works anywhere you have Wifi connection.  (Its not like you can lug around the extender)  

0 Likes
bbbradlepc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Im responding because several people suggested That Wi-Fi calling will fix this, and that's simply not accurate. Wi-Fi calling will allow you to make calls. It will not allow an iPhone (at least not a 6s or the 8 that we bought new from Verizon) to text an android phone using SMS. So what happens in poor coverage areas, is that you try and text a person or group that includes an android phone, and the text waits for several minutes before reporting a failure.  That's completely unacceptable when you're trying to do business from home or an urgent text comes in that you're trying to respond to.  It should not have been this difficult to get the service that I paid for.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Check your settings for messages, because that's not true.   WiFi calling should say, 'WiFi calling/texting'.   I use it all the time, especially when I'm out of the country.   In airplane mode, I can call, text and send MMS.   
In the USA, on a daily basis, I have clients that have no cellular indoors and I have to use WiFi to send and receive.  Devices vary, android, iPhone, and carriers too.  

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I have to retract my statement.  iPhone cannot text via WiFi, only android can.  That's ridiculous limitation for Apple to have placed on its devices.  
Point for android.  What the heck Apple?