Re: Is there an issue with the latest carrier update 28.4?
mikegold10

So something changed today, 07/31/2017. I was experiencing my usual crappy one bar 28.4 service here in Downtown Chicago on my iPhone 5 - the other person's voice breaking up, fading in and out, etc... Then, all of a sudden, at 11:15 CDT, my call dropped and the connectivity jumped to all 5 dots (i.e., bars). I was not moving at the time, so I don't think I switched towers. So, I don't know what Verizon did or didn't do, but it looks like they may have pushed something out or changed something at this time to fix this problem. The carrier line still reports 28.4, so that hasn't changed.

Is anyone else experiencing something similar or is this a temporary fluke?

0 Likes
Ratruzz15
Enthusiast - Level 2

BBECKER56

Were you able to get anything resolved with support?  I had commented on this thread for a while back in June. They wanted to further discuss my issue privately but never sent me anything and when I'd call they'd ask the same questions they have with everyone on this thread.

Has your service improved or are you still having the same issues?  I have not been able to get any help or improvements, have been tempted to switch but want to see if something will get resolved.  So just curious what success if any you have had.

thank you

0 Likes
svallarian

Having the same issue. A complete factory restore fixes it until the carrier updates are applied.

Trying it again without allowing the carrier update.

0 Likes
svallarian

Well, a complete restore works...as long as you tell itunes not to apply the carrier update when you do the restore. So friday night, phone works fine. Get up saturday morning and it goes from Verizon --> Extended --> Searching...

So apparently the carrier update gets downloaded and applied without your consent.

Back to square one.

0 Likes
SPEMAS30

Have they come out with a new carrier update from 28.4 because I'm having the same issues with my iPhone 6, area code 47359.... I've done every reset and still get no service where I used to get really good service. I wish I had a home phone because I cant work from home anymore. Id hate to leave Verizon but this is unreal. Obviously there is a problem or this topic wouldn't be so frequent.

0 Likes
svallarian

I swapped to a different iphone 6 (model MKRR2LL/A - iphone 6s) and this fixed my issue. Was using a regular iPhone 6.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know you need to have the best service available, SPEMAS30. We definitely don't want to lose you as a valued customer. Can you tell me if your service issues are all over 47359, or certain locations, like inside your home? When did this start happening? Also, do you know of others experiencing the same/ similar issues, or is it just your phone?

VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
JOHVAS71

I live in Los Angeles and I also felt the impact of the new Verizon carrier update 28.4 on iPhone 6 (model #MG632LL/A running 10.3.3.    My home is only 8 blocks from the cell tower...and despite that, and even with Wi-Fi calling, everyone I talked to on my phone asked why my volume level was so low...and why did the signal sound so scratchy?     I left messages for myself on voicemail and was surprised by the low volume and poor call quality.   I had Apple check the phone and the hardware and microphone are OK.   

I have tried all the resets and other suggestions in this thread that are the standard boilerplate -- and no relief.   I can only surmise that the pushing out of Verizon carrier update 28.4 is where all the arrows are pointing to.

That said, I am no longer on a Verizon contract, just a month to month basis, and my tentative plan is to wait for the next carrier update to see if that improves the situation.   If not, I will jump over to T-Mobile or Sprint and give them a try.

I do have two questions to ask while waiting...

1. Are the comments from this thread being pushed upstairs to the staff/people who actually create the Verizon carrier updates?   Are our voices being heard at that level of engineering?

2. Can you offer up a best guess on when the next carrier update may be coming out?   Next month?   By the end of the year?

The answers to these questions will guide me as to whether I wait things out with Verizon....or jump over to the other carriers.  I'm glad I have the freedom to do that if I desire and may learn something new in the process.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

0 Likes
JACMD
Enthusiast - Level 2

1) Oh they're being "pushed" alright (... aside to tier nowhere it seems, so "NO")

2) Next carrier update will be bundled with retail release of iOS 11 eta month end/beginning of Oct.

ps. currently running iOS 11 beta 9 on an iPhone 7, as it stands the latest/newest carrier update bundled with this as well as the previous release (beta 😎 is version 29.0, unfortunately absolutely nothing has changed, phone continues to exhibit the exact same flaky up/down carrier reception and/or service related issues.

Good luck!

0 Likes
ASHTWA9

Hello, I'm currently having the same issue. My phone and cellular service were working fine until 4 days ago when I just lost service completely and haven't been able to make or receive calls. I have done all of the troubleshooting recommended above. I have no case on my phone and I'm located in 22314. I have all of the current updates, have reset multiple times. I have an IPhone5 and do not currently know anyone else with the same issues. Please advise on next steps.

0 Likes