Re: Massive data usage spike one day after disabling cellular data?
Weth
Legend

You can turn off certain apps from using cellular data.

0 Likes
pittgrad

I already deleted the app that I think caused the use of cellular data and I disabled the use of all cellular data so presumably I'm safe.  But then the usefulness of this so-called "smart" phone is compromised. Verizon should have a better fix!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You do realize it is the phone that switches between wifi and cellular. It would need to be done by the phone manufacturer or software maker, no Verizon. I personally do not want to be notified when switching, as I am in and out of wifi coverage all day, I just want data. It doesn't take much to look at the phone and see the wifi or cellular status - I do that all the time too. You can turn off cellular data and turn it on when needed, you can restrict cellular data use for apps. There is methods if you only want to use cellular rarely.

GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

There are ways to lock these phones down data-wise.  I generally have data turned off unless I specifically need it.  In addition the data smart switch is turned off, the Playstore app is set to update over WiFi only, many apps are specifically restricted from data usage and and my restrict background data switch is set to on, Youtube is set to stream over WiFi only.  I've turned off some apps that I'll never use.  There probably are more settings that escape me at the moment.  Over the last three months I have averaged a data consumption level of 45 MB/Mo. Admittedly, that level of consumption would not work for many.

Each person needs to set their own priorities in the balance of  cost control versus function and configure their phone accordingly.  If you want all the bells and whistles, it's gonna cost like crazy.  Verizon can't "fix" this as there is no one set of settings that will work for all.

0 Likes
pittgrad

GZRX,

Thank you for the sound advice. I will start trying to implement your changes but being new to the world of smart phones, I might be back for more details. I just wish the people who program these phones (and computers in general) would make it easier for the user to make more of their own decisions and not assume they know what the user really wants.

Bill

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

pittgrad

i also have an IR camera with an app on my phone.  No need to delete it from your phone, but make sure you close it properly after use.  Learn how to close apps on your smartphone. Your phone may have a setting for battery saver, which also restricts background data to some extent.

Thisisgreat

I'm so done - I received notifications that I used 4 Gig in about two hours.  Completely impossible.  Bye Bye VZW.  If I had more time in my life, I'd be filing a lawsuit for fraudulent billing. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

High def video will easily use 2 GBS an hour.   A large computer update.  Those are what come to mind anyway.

The more capable the devices, the quicker they use data.

I Can't recommend a mifi or personal hotspot for regular home internet use.  The cap is just too low, the data cost is too high.

if you have any other internet options, cable, satellite, DSL has to be better with higher caps than Mifi. 

Cell phone service is easily top of the heap, but that's a different service.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Hardly impossible, and actually rather easy to do.

0 Likes
19ron47

The massive data usage has hit us also. No movies or streaming stuff (I don't even know how), just "normal" surfing and facebook. We had been on a 12G plan and suddenly we were pushing past that. Now a 17G plan (2-G free promotional) is being surpassed! Verison shows 2.75G data used in less than one day. ABSURD! At this rate my bill will be over $1200 next month!

Here's a message to Verison: figure out what is happening within your system or our relationship is ending.

0 Likes