My contract terminates 6 days after new phone. ETF?
Louisme
Enthusiast - Level 2

My contract terminates on the 25th.  Will I be billed an ETF if I buy my phone on the 19th?  If so what will I be billed.  I will likely be staying with Verizon and upgrading from the iphone 5 to the 6.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My contract terminates 6 days after new phone.  ETF?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you pay full retail price for your phone, there is no ETF because you aren't canceling your service.  You aren't eligible for a subsidized phone until the 25th.  If you're talking about canceling your service and then starting a new account in order to get a subsidized phone, that won't work since Verizon will simply reinstate your previous contract since you're be starting an account within 60 days of canceling a previous one.

0 Likes
Louisme
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks that was helpful.

I have a subsidized phone and I can either get a new one on Day 1 at the apple store or wait until stores restock.  They are usually a bit harder to get a week after release.  From what I am reading in these forums, it looks like my ETF would only be $10, but I am finding it hard to find that in writing.  I could go to another carrier and they would bay my ETF if it was too expensive.  Verizons service is good but It's not cheap.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your ETF will be $350 - ($10 x 23) = $120

0 Likes
Louisme
Enthusiast - Level 2

great thanks,  I seem to of only run into vague posts.

0 Likes
Re: My contract terminates 6 days after new phone. ETF?
tonyb961
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did you try checking on the your account details at the verizon site for when you are eligible for an upgrade? My contract expires on 9/21 how ever when i checked my account verizon was letting me upgrade as of 9/04 so i was able to pre order the iPhone on the 12th. Try checking to see when you can upgrade.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Upgrade dates and contract end dates are usually the same, but can differ if upgrades were transferred.  I neglected to mention that the OP could double-check their upgrade date to confirm it's the same as the contract date, and am glad that you mentioned that, tonyb961.  The upgrade date also can be checked by dialing #UPG.

0 Likes
Louisme
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks tony you are correct.  I can upgrade on 9/4 despite contract end on 9/25. I hope that is ok if I can upgrade at an Apple Store,  it's not like I purchased the original phone from a Verizon store anyway.   Thank you both tony and tiki