My iPhone 6 suddenly started making random calls
vsiefers

The calls are to numbers in my area code but not in my address book.  I googled the problem and I powered the phone off and on, checked to be sure the OS was up to date and did a soft reset.  I also checked the storage and deleted some apps that were taking up too much space.  It is still happening and it is driving me crazy.  It rings and it is calling someone else.  If I answer it the person is saying hello, like I just called them.  Then I have to apologize for my phone's behavior.  If I let it go to voicemail, random people leave me messages asking who I am.  It goes for 30 minutes at a time, just one number after the other.  Then it quits for a bit.  What is happening?  How can I stop this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My iPhone 6 suddenly started making random calls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

vsiefers Not having control over this can be nerve wrecking. Unfortunately, the technology to stop this is not available. However, what we can do is change your number for you. Most don't want to do this because they have had their number for a long time. It is a solution that would work. DeloresK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Vsiefers, I want to get to the bottom of this issue. First, I will need some more details. Are you saying that your phone is dialing to number that you do not know or that other people are calling your phone?

MahrizaM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vsiefers

The call does not show up as outgoing on my call log.  Sometimes the person calls me back because they think they missed a call but they don't know who I am.  Sometimes a person is saying hello, like it is ringing on his end too.  When I ignore the call and let it go to voicemail I get a message from a person who wants to know why I am calling him or her.  So I never see that my phone has made this outgoing call but undeniably my phone is calling random people.

0 Likes
vsiefers

I have not done a factory reset and I would rather avoid that if possible.

0 Likes
vsiefers

Help! People are returning my phone calls and leaving voice mails which are frightening.

0 Likes
vsiefers

I just got on Twitter to try to contact Mahriza for help.  I will turn phone off later so I am not dialing random people all night.

0 Likes
vsiefers

I am getting call backs from people who say I called them but I didn’t. Some leave voice mails and they are starting to get frightening. Just had a long garbled message from a stranger. Could my number have been stolen by a spammer? what can I do?

Vicki Siefers

vicki.siefers@gmail.com <mailto:vicki.siefers@gmail.com>

0 Likes
vsiefers

It's me again.  So this is not some new and unusual thing.  My number is being used in a spoofing scheme which is illegal.  A spammer has stolen my number and has the technology to make it show up in the caller ID when calling a victim to try to scam.  It is all described here:  Phone Spoofing – Yes, It Can Happen to You | The Security Advocate

Not much I can do but report this to the FTC or change my number or just hope it stops soon.  Pretty discouraging.  My apologies to all the victims getting phones calls which look like they're coming from my phone.  Some are calling my back and leaving angry voicemails for me.  It is becoming a safety issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

vsiefers Not having control over this can be nerve wrecking. Unfortunately, the technology to stop this is not available. However, what we can do is change your number for you. Most don't want to do this because they have had their number for a long time. It is a solution that would work. DeloresK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vsiefers

Thanks Delores for answering me.  Not the solution I want but I might have to do it.  I will wait awhile and see if the scammer moves on and finds a new victim.  My concern is I get a new phone number from a user who has recently dropped it for the same reason and the problem continues.  This certainly is a rotten situation to be in.

0 Likes