Re: No service since iOS 9.2 update
waeleldasher

So what happens when you grab the phone with your feet? ...Sorry I couldn't help myself. It was set up perfectly .

An update on my situation. As you recall from my previous post we tried a host of things to get my phone to work since the update, including getting a new phone and a new SIM...etc.

Apple support was supposed to call me back between 24-48 hrs but haven't done so yet. Just a few minutes ago, I was prompted to activate the phone again, which I did and instantly I'm back in business....

I'm positive it was an issue with Verizon, not Apple since the new phone and new SIM presented the same problem. The theory that something was wrong with the CDMA part of my first iPhone 6 due to the Carrier 23.1 update doesn't make sense since it was the same problem with the new iPhone 6 Apple gave me at their store. It has to be a network problem.

This was an exhausting ordeal for sure. My advice is still to follow the same steps I did otherwise Verizon won't be able to troubleshoot the issue, be it the phone, SIM or their own network.

cheers

Wael

0 Likes
CeebeeK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Even after erasing all settings and data on my phone (at request of VZ tech support) my phone still would not establish a usable and consistent connection to the VZ network. I noticed that the reset brought the Carrier setting back to "Verizon 23.0.1", so the problem must not be due to the upgrade to 23.1. Phone is still on iOS 9.2. Next step: VZ is sending a replacement phone ... stay tuned.

will2383
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this same problem!  I ran the 9.2 update on Dec 8 and immediately after rebooting, installed the carrier update.  One of the two -- or a combination of the two -- killed my cellular service.  It has been stuck in Apple's support cycle for over a week now, and Verizon has assured me that it's not a problem on the account, which I believe since the issue happened IMMEDIATELY as the phone restarted after the update.

Replaced the sim, no dice; the sim DOES work in other VZW phones.  Reset network settings, re-installed iOS 9.2, downgraded to iOS 9.1, full recovery mode, not-full recovery mode, etc, etc, nothing has worked.  A few days ago the 'engineers' / escalation team finally told me to go to the Apple store for a replacement phone -- phone was replaced and restored from backup, then upgraded to 9.2 and carrier update and SAME PROBLEM!  What is going on?  The Apple tech had no clue, and just escalated it AGAIN.  I don't know who I should blame, because I don't know if it's 9.2 or the carrier update or both, but Apple has not been helpful at all so far.

I'm at almost two weeks with no service on a line I'm paying for.  Anyone come to any conclusions?

0 Likes
will2383
Enthusiast - Level 2

So was it a Verizon issue?  Who did you speak to?  I've been through Apple and they have no idea so far.

0 Likes
waeleldasher

Hi Will2383,

I never got a call back from Apple, but I know that if a case was escalated in Apple, that means they will work on the problem on a first come first serve basis. Within less than the 48 hrs that they told me they'll respond, the problem got fixed. To be honest, I'm still not sure if it's a Apple iOS issue or a Verizon 23.1 issue. I'm still leaning more toward Verizon 23.1 as being the culprit, something in the carrier update isn't quite compatible with certain iPhone 6 configurations. The fact that, just like you, my SIM worked fine in other model iPhones (we tried it in 5s and 6s+) and other people's SIM didn't work in my iPhone, initially made me think it's simply a phone problem. Apple replaced the phone for me since it's under warranty. But the new iPhone 6 did the same thing! We even set it up a new iPhone, not restored from iCloud. That made me think it's a carrier update issue.

Irrespective, the problem is gone now after the issue was escalated and during one of prompts to activate the phone, it just clicked, like a snap of ones fingers. All of a sudden, it was gone! That tells me someone worked on the problem.

cheers

Wael

0 Likes
CeebeeK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Resolution to my problem. I received the replacement iPhone 6 from VZ. I transferred the SIM card from the old phone and then activated the new phone. I tested the new phone and confirmed it was able to successfully connect with the VZ network. I restored my phone to bring back apps and data. The phone is still successfully connected to the network. The phone is running iOS 9.2 and the Carrier setting is 23.1. Conclusion: the old phone must have had a hardware issue that occurred around the same time as the Carrier settings update.

0 Likes
CeebeeK
Enthusiast - Level 2

And a last thought....I suppose it is also possible that some other network or software issue was resolved between last Thursday and today (Monday). To test that hypothesis, I could revert back to the old phone, but I'll live with the residual mystery since I have to get on with life!

0 Likes
will2383
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm leaning towards the Verizon carrier update as well, but I'm trying to find more information about common threads here.  Which phone did you have?  Mine's a 6s 128GB Space Grey, bought unlocked, off-carrier (VZW assures me that unlocked iPhones are not against their policy anymore).  Any chance yours is the same?

0 Likes
Ebbyblock
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same "No Service" problem here. Just installed a Carrier Update that brought the version up to 23.2.

No dice. Still pooched for me.

0 Likes
Powdergiant
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had the same No Service/1x problem since the iOS 9.2 upgrade while on Carrier Setting 23.1. Upgraded the Carrier Setting to 23.2 now that it's available and restarted the phone and it -seems- to be working on LTE so far. Crossing my fingers...!