Not receiving some text messages on iPhone 6 Plus
JFA23

I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus last week and signed up for a new Verizon account.  I am now not receiving text messages from certain people.  I disabled iMessage and enabled SMS messaging.  Is there anything else I can do before I try to return this phone and try a different carrier?  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not receiving some text messages on iPhone 6 Plus
gordontull2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I figured it out.  See this:

http://www.ianswerguy.com/not-receiving-text-messages-from-iphone-users/

My friend was then receiving SMS but the reply failed.

So, In addition to getting rid of the appleID in messages, I also deleted conversations on my side and my friend did as well.  That fixed it.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help is right here, front and center JFA23! May I ask what device and wireless carrier are you not receiving text messages from? Are these devices receiving your messages and calls? Also, are these numbers stored into your device as a 10-digit number? As you share the details then we can investigate.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JFA23

Hi, thank you...  Most of the problems are coming from people using Sprint, or Republic Wireless (which uses Sprint's network)...  I ported my number from Republic Wireless.  Many of them can receive my texts, but I can't get their responses.  Some of them get a busy signal when they call me.  They are all saved in my phone as a 10-digit number.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JFA23,

Thank you so much for those great details. Let's do a deep dive into this issue so we can get the messages and calls working the correct way. Since you have ported your number over, have you ever been able to get calls or messages from them? Can you please call *73 from your cell phone. This will disable any kind of accidental call forwarding that might have been set up on the device. After you call that number see if one of your family or friends can call or message you. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
JFA23

Thanks Kevin, I tried *73 and there is no improvement.  It is also a problem from other carriers besides Sprint.  Could there be an issue with the porting of the number?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JFA23,

Thank you so much for trying that out for me. I would love to dive deeper into this issue. I would like to review the account in full detail. I did request to follow you. I also sent you a Direct Message. Can you please respond back to that message. I hope to hear from you soon.

KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
gordontull2
Enthusiast - Level 1

My family is having the same problem on iPhone 6's and iPhone 4's.  iMessage is disabled. MMS Messaging and Group Messaging are enabled.    I did a test with a friend of mine.  I texted him on his iPhone on the AT&T network and he received it via iMessage (even though I have it disabled).  When he replied, it went via iMessage and I did not receive because I have iMessage disabled.  Now, my friend turned off iMessage on his AT&T iPhone and replied and I did receive the reply. The big problem here is that my iPhone 6 and my wife's iPhone 4 are sending texts via iMessage even when iMessage is disabled.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad that you brought this to our attention gordontull2! Keep in mind that the iMessahe conversation should be deleted to ensure that the text will be sent and receive as text messages. If the thread was initiated as an iMessage then there's a strong chance that the conversation will continue as iMessage on the other device, even if it is turned off on your device. IF you can do so, retest, and keep us posted then that would be great.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW

gordontull2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I figured it out.  See this:

http://www.ianswerguy.com/not-receiving-text-messages-from-iphone-users/

My friend was then receiving SMS but the reply failed.

So, In addition to getting rid of the appleID in messages, I also deleted conversations on my side and my friend did as well.  That fixed it.