Spike in Data Usage - Possible Bug iOS8
MemberIcon

I received two alerts earlier today regarding my data usage. The first alert warned me that I had used 90% of my prorated data allotment for the month. Ten minutes later, I received an alert that I was over my data allotment and would need to pay for an additional gig of data.

I have an iPhone 6 plus running iOS8. According to the data usage breakdown on the My Verizon page, I had a 2 gb spike about an hour before the first warning. This doesn't make sense as I wasn't using the phone at that time.

Has anyone else with the iOS8 experience this?

I know there was a similar issue with the iPhone 5 back in 2012.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spike in Data Usage - Possible Bug iOS8
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Ostaters5,

Data overages are no good! I’m going to show you a way to look at your data usage more closely. Most devices provide information in the settings with Data Monitors, and they’ll give you a much clearer picture. Allow me to walk you through it. Go to settings>cellular>scroll down to use celluar data for:> Please list the applications with the highest GB/MB in order. This will let us know what is using your billed data. You can turn off cellular data, and turn on the option to use the application only on Wi-fi in this same screen.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MemberIcon Data alerts are extremely important! Overages can be avoided. You mentioned the data has been prorated and it is normal to receive alerts if plan changes have been made mid bill cycle. When activating the phone it is possible data was used to download software,apps,contacts,pics,music etc. When does your bill cycle restart?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
ostaters5

I am having the same issue.  I have constantly been on wifi and my normal usage is about 2 or 3 GB in a month.  My data just reset and I am up to 4 GB in 3 days since getting the iphone 6.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Ostaters5,

Data overages are no good! I’m going to show you a way to look at your data usage more closely. Most devices provide information in the settings with Data Monitors, and they’ll give you a much clearer picture. Allow me to walk you through it. Go to settings>cellular>scroll down to use celluar data for:> Please list the applications with the highest GB/MB in order. This will let us know what is using your billed data. You can turn off cellular data, and turn on the option to use the application only on Wi-fi in this same screen.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
ostaters5

I have been checking this, and none of my apps seems to be using a significan amount of data.  Actually, it is less than .2 GB.  But when I view my usage on the Verizon app or on the Verizon account website it shows I am over 4 GB.  It keeps increasing although I have been on wifi.

0 Likes
dburne
Contributor - Level 2

Whew figured I better check mine, don't know what is going on with your usages mine seems to be pretty normal, we got two new iPhone 6's on Friday, and we have only used .4 gb of our data combined ( our cycle ends 10/8). I will keep a check on it but seems to be normal for us so far. I will say, when I first got the two new phones, I made sure before I restored my iCloud backup I was on wifi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for continuing to check on this matter, ostaters5. Do you happen to use FaceTime?
If so, can you go to Settings>Cellular>turn off the switch for FaceTime and then report back on how data calculates? 

As part of the new iOS8 there was a modification with FaceTime and Maps so the apps will automatically transition between Wifi and Cellular depending on which connection the app believes will provide the best experience.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes