Why Are There Question Marks In My Contact List Entries?
aggiebrandon93
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an Apple 6s plus and started noticing a few months ago that my phone does not recognize certain cell numbers and will list them like this: (812)?555-1212.  the question mark is inside of a black diamond.  I can still text them, but when they reply it will show up as a recognized contact.  My original text goes out unknown with the "?", but their response comes back on another text message or on the text conversation that I sent mine out on.

Has anyone else experienced that and been able to fix it?  Apple support was unable to solve the issue.

Backing up did not help using the oldest version that I had available.

Not a huge deal, but it is frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Brandon

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question marks in some contacts cell numbers
aggiebrandon93
Enthusiast - Level 2

There was nothing in common with the emails, but it appears that it was just a place holder.  I went through my contacts and deleted the "?" and added a space and it was fine.  Apparently when I added them I either did not include a space between the area code and the first number thereafter or included a character that my address book did not like/recognize.  I thought I had changed those before, but oh well.  At least it seems to be fine now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aggiebrandon93,

That is certainly a strange thing to see on a contact, so let's check out what could be causing it. For these contacts, is there anything special or common about them? This could be anything from they are on the same phone to just using some special app to talk/text that might give them a different phone number (like Google Voice or Facebook Messenger). If you totally delete the contact, then readd the number and other info manually, does it still show that icon? Are you including 1 before the area code when it is saved as a contact (just incase the phone is showing that icon as a placeholder for something)?

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
aggiebrandon93
Enthusiast - Level 2

There was nothing in common with the emails, but it appears that it was just a place holder.  I went through my contacts and deleted the "?" and added a space and it was fine.  Apparently when I added them I either did not include a space between the area code and the first number thereafter or included a character that my address book did not like/recognize.  I thought I had changed those before, but oh well.  At least it seems to be fine now.

0 Likes