Why does my device keep switching to 3G?
socialworker8006014

My iPhone 6 keeps switching to 3g while I am working everyday.   The people I work with have androids and they do not seem to have a problem.  Everyone with IPhones have a issue.  I use my phone for personal use and work use and I need to get the full function of use out of my phone.  when the phone switches to 3g it also will take forever to send or receive text messages.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 3g problem
Weth
Legend

I agree with contacting Apple to have the phone checked out.

I do notice with my 6 that if I am in a LTE marginal area the phone switches to 3G and stays there for awhile even when I leave and go into a known stronger signal area.  It appears the phone, rather than wasting battery switching back and forth between 3G and LTE just stops checking for LTE as frequently.  It eventually switches on its own to LTE in 2 to 4 minutes.  I can also force it by putting the phone in airplane mode for 15 seconds and then turning the mode off.  it will then reattach to LTE.  Also if you are using data while on 3G it stays on 3G until data use stops for moment.

It really appears to me to be intentional to save battery in marginal area. 

View solution in original post

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Your posting is not the first I've seen on this problem and I would contact Apple in reference to this as they may have a fix.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I agree with contacting Apple to have the phone checked out.

I do notice with my 6 that if I am in a LTE marginal area the phone switches to 3G and stays there for awhile even when I leave and go into a known stronger signal area.  It appears the phone, rather than wasting battery switching back and forth between 3G and LTE just stops checking for LTE as frequently.  It eventually switches on its own to LTE in 2 to 4 minutes.  I can also force it by putting the phone in airplane mode for 15 seconds and then turning the mode off.  it will then reattach to LTE.  Also if you are using data while on 3G it stays on 3G until data use stops for moment.

It really appears to me to be intentional to save battery in marginal area.