Why is my wifi slow to connect after installing iOS10
PHEMMERICH

I reset my network settings and readded a wifi connection with a password, but it's still slow connecting when I wake my phone up. It used to be nearly instant, but has been very slow since upgrading to iOS 10.1.1. Is there another way to reboot and fix this? I don't want to reset my entire phone and lose everything.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is my wifi slow to connect after installing iOS10
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PHEMMERICH,

I appreciate your quick response. This is exactly the information we needed to know to figure out our next step. Since this is happening with every WiFi network, my advice would be to confirm you've got a current backup and then complete a restore of the iOS. It's possible that something did not update correctly and it's causing this problem. Here's the information on the process, in case you have not used this process in the past: http://apple.co/1IwUkFK

EricW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PHEMMERICH,

We all depend so heavily on having a reliable WiFi connection, so we understand your concerns and would like to help in any way we can. We checked to see if there was a known issue regarding WiFi connections, but we were unable to locate any. Resetting the network settings on your phone was a good place to start and we don't want to jump straight to erasing your phone, so let's gather some additional information. You mentioned that your WiFi is slow to connect upon waking your phone. Can you clarify what you're experiencing for us (e.g. trouble using data related apps or the WiFi connection is just not there)? How long after waking your phone does it take before you're able to use the WiFi?

ShawnteJ_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PHEMMERICH

I’m not exactly sure how to explain it – when I wake up my phone, LTE shows up next to Verizon at the top of my screen even if my wifi is turned on with a trusted signal. It has taken almost a minute to connect to the wifi signal and usually takes a good 20-30 seconds. Sometimes I’ve had to go into my settings to the wifi for the phone to even start looking for the signal. The phone is not using the cellular network in the meantime and apps that require data tell me they can’t be used without an internet connection while the phone is in this state.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PHEMMERICH,

Thanks for checking back in with us to further explain the problem. We know it can be very frustrating when technology doesn't work the way it should. It sounds like the phone is still trying to make this connection since cellular data isn't getting used in that state. Have you experienced this same phenomenon at multiple WiFi networks? Have you tried rebooting your WiFi router by unplugging it from power for about five minutes?

EricW_VZW

0 Likes
PHEMMERICH

Yes, I’ve experienced this with every wifi I’ve been on since upgrading to 10.1.1. At work, I have no ability to reset the network or when traveling on other wifi networks (hotels, Starbucks, etc) and I’ve tried the router method at home. If I turn off my wifi entirely, the phone goes right to cellular data and works. Oddly, my old iPhone with iOS 7.3 had no problems working on cellular while connecting to wifi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PHEMMERICH,

I appreciate your quick response. This is exactly the information we needed to know to figure out our next step. Since this is happening with every WiFi network, my advice would be to confirm you've got a current backup and then complete a restore of the iOS. It's possible that something did not update correctly and it's causing this problem. Here's the information on the process, in case you have not used this process in the past: http://apple.co/1IwUkFK

EricW_VZW

0 Likes
PHEMMERICH

Okay, I will wait until I’m on my home computer this evening to work on this and follow up tomorrow. Thanks!

0 Likes