Why is voicemail delayed?
duc618
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got my first smartphone, an iPhone 6, and i am not getting voicemail notifications until days later.  I see a notification that i missed a call soon after the call but almost always, no voicemail shows up until several days later.  This is really unacceptable service.  I went to a Verizon store to ask about it and they were not able to provide any answers - they only made a note of the problem in my account file.  The issue continues to come up.  For example, just today (Feb 4th) I received a voicemail from January 30th as well as another from 2 days ago.  Does anyone have any solution to this problem? I see that it is a common issue but no answers are provided.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is voicemail delayed?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@duc618

I understand the importance of receiving voice mail notifications in a timely manner and I would love to help!

Are you connected to WiFi when this problem occurs?  Check to ensure Cellular Data is enabled for the Voice Mail application on your device: http://vz.to/1rVpwaY.  The voice mail service requires a cellular data connection.  Please keep me posted.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@duc618

I understand the importance of receiving voice mail notifications in a timely manner and I would love to help!

Are you connected to WiFi when this problem occurs?  Check to ensure Cellular Data is enabled for the Voice Mail application on your device: http://vz.to/1rVpwaY.  The voice mail service requires a cellular data connection.  Please keep me posted.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
duc618
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah I'm usually connected to wifi.  So does this mean that I can't get voicemail if I'm at home or work and connected to wifi as I usually am when at these places? I was able to get voicemail anywhere with the flip phone that I just got rid of and that never used any cellular data...

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

duc618,

We truly want you to be able to receive your voicemails in a timely manner. You can still receive voicemails when connected to wifi as long as your cellular data is still on. Since the iPhone use visual voicemail and runs on a different voicemail system then basic phones it does require a data connection to receive the voicemails. What software is your iPhone 6 running on? Settings>General>About. Do you have issues with any other services on the device such as text/iMessage or data connections?

LindseyT_VZW

0 Likes
duc618
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info.  I'm running 8.1.3.  I was having problems with iMessage hanging up but the store rep was able to figure it out and it has been working so far.  Everything else seems to be working ok.  I just don't trust the voicemail.  I made sure that cellular data was turned on yesterday while on my home wifi and a few old messages appeared but it still took several hours after turning on cell data for that to happen.

0 Likes
sunnyjay

I am having the same problem with my iPhone 5c.  I too just ventured into the 'smart phone' world and am less than pleased with the notifications for voice mail, and voice mails waiting, compared to the convenient reminders on my old LG "dumb" phone.  I had been leaving the cellular data off to save on usage, since that is the only 'metered' usage I have with my plan, and finding WiFi working acceptably for apps, etc.  Does it use much data for the voice mail function?

Also, I have had some missed calls where the ring was on, and phone with me but no ring sounded.  Is this also because I had the cellular data off?  Is cellular data required to be on to hear the ring for an incoming call if I am connected to WiFi too?  If so, how much data is used?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
sunnyjay,

We always want to make sure your phone is reliable and works great for you! Let's address these concerns. Voice mail does require that cellular data be turned on though you can also absolutely be on wi-fi. We just want to make sure that when turning wi-fi on that we don't turn cellular data off. Voicemails don't use data from your plan. You can check your voicemail with data off by dialing *86 to get the voice version of voicemail but the iPhone doesn't have a notification for that because visual voicemail is the default.

The phone certainly shouldn't require data to get a call though. Does the phone show a missed call when this happens? Is it in areas with good signal?

AndrewT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
sunnyjay

I guess the question is about needing cell. data to actuate 3rd party ringtones.  It seems when I am on WiFi only, at home, or at work, I am experiencing "missed calls", when the phone is with me, ie no ringtone. 

From: Verizon Wireless Customer Support <forums@verizonwireless.com>

To: Jay Clark <jayadair@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, April 5, 2015 11:20 AM

Subject: - Why is voicemail delayed?

#yiv9280412159 img

|

|

|

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

|

| |

Why is voicemail delayed?

created by Verizon Wireless Customer Support in iPhone 6 - View the full discussionsunnyjay,

We always want to make sure your phone is reliable and works great for you! Let's address these concerns. Voice mail does require that cellular data be turned on though you can also absolutely be on wi-fi. We just want to make sure that when turning wi-fi on that we don't turn cellular data off. Voicemails don't use data from your plan. You can check your voicemail with data off by dialing *86 to get the voice version of voicemail but the iPhone doesn't have a notification for that because visual voicemail is the default.

The phone certainly shouldn't require data to get a call though. Does the phone show a missed call when this happens? Is it in areas with good signal?

AndrewT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!! Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community Start a new discussion in iPhone 6 by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

|

|

© 2014 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless

One Verizon Way

Mail Code: 180WVB

Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences by visiting https://community.verizonwireless.com/user-preferences!input.jspa.

|

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information

about click activity with Verizon Wireless and links included in this email.

|

|

|

0 Likes
hnj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue. I will recieve notifications of missed calls but not of voicemails until days or weeks later. Today I recieved notification I had 7 new voicemails. The dates ranges werr  from 3/7/19-to today (4/4/19). I have read these posts and have checked that I have cellular data on, notifications on, etc.  So what gives? I have a new iPhone XS with the latest iOS? This is totally unacceptable to miss a month worth of voicemails!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would be just as concerned over having such delays with my voicemails, hnj. I'm so sorry for this inconvenience. This issue is being investigated. We don't have details about a resolution or turn-around time. However, once something becomes available, (likely a software update), it will be pushed to your phone. 

I hope this information is beneficial. 

VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes