Will calls made with VoLTE in Mexico be billed as data?
SDShaun
Enthusiast - Level 2

When in the US I have Enable LTE set for Voice & Data.        

I'm going to add the $15 Mexico plan with 100MB of Data...

Two questions.

1. While in Mexico would making voice calls with Enable Voice and Data over LTE end up being billed as data? In the US it does not but not sure when roaming how it works. Obviously pretty important to understand.

2.The plan also includes 100 voice minutes, when calling back to the US are there any additional long distance charges?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mexico Romaing and Enable LTE for Voice and Data?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Sounds like you're planning an exciting trip, SDShaun. I'm glad you're making sure to know what to expect from your services! Advanced Calling over LTE isn't available yet in Mexico, so your calls will process over the 3G or 1X networks during your trip with no data being used for standard voice calls. The 100 Talk & Text add-on for calls while you're in Mexico would include no long distance for calls back to the US. You can find out more about our global services at www.vzw.com/global too. Have a great trip!

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I do not think VoLTE is turned on yet in Mexico. However, why not play it safe and just switch LTE to Data only?

100 voice minutes includes long distance to US, no additional costs for those 100 voice minutes.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Sounds like you're planning an exciting trip, SDShaun. I'm glad you're making sure to know what to expect from your services! Advanced Calling over LTE isn't available yet in Mexico, so your calls will process over the 3G or 1X networks during your trip with no data being used for standard voice calls. The 100 Talk & Text add-on for calls while you're in Mexico would include no long distance for calls back to the US. You can find out more about our global services at www.vzw.com/global too. Have a great trip!

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
SDShaun
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the answers, here is a follow up.

Voice Mail on an Iphone 6 in Mexico (Visual). Will I get them if I have my data off, if I'm connected to WIFI or only via cellular data? Trying to figure out how to listen to my voicemails without using data. If I have my data off then turn it on for something like checking maps will I then get hit with all the voicemails to my phone and get charged data?

I guess the same question for Picture and Video Messages, can those be sent over wifi or only via cell data? (I assume wifi for imessage)  If people send me pictures, will I get hit with data charges when they are delivered to my phone when I turn data on to check something?

Thanks

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Visual Voice mail will use only cellular data and not wifi. You will not get an indicator or a message without cellular data active. If you have data off, and then turn it on, you will get the voicemails downloaded come through on cellular data. These do not use a lot of data, but 100 MB is not a lot of data either.

iMessages will be sent over wifi, but MMS messages will only be sent over cellular data. So if people are sending you MMS messages from non-iphones or iPhones with iMessages turned off, you will not get those until you turn on cellular data.

I found this good experiment on another site, done by JustJ

I've done some experimentation this morning.

1) A cellular connection is required for Visual Voice Mail notification and download to the phone. I confirmed this by

a) Placing a call to myself and leaving a message, and then putting the phone in airplane mode.

b) Turning Wi-Fi on and doing some surfing and email.

c) Going to the visual voice mail screen, where a message is displayed saying that Visual Voice mail is not available.

d) I waited a while and there was no VoiceMail notification. I turned Airplane mode off, and within a minute or two I had my voice mail notification.

2) A cellular signal is NOT required to listen to messages already in visual voice mail. I tested this by

a) Going back to Airplane mode

b) Turning Wi-Fi on (may or may not have been necessary).

c) Going to VVM. I had the same "not available" message, but I also had the voice mail received in test 1 above.

d) I played the voice mail with no problems, then deleted it.

3) Visual Voice Mails ARE stored on the iPhone and can be played with no cellular or Wi-Fi connection. I tested this by:

a) Still in Airplane mode from the previous test, I turned off Wi-Fi.

b) I was able to play the message deleted above from the deleted messages list.

c) I turned airplane mode off and left myself another message.

d) I waited for the indication that I had a visual voice mail.

e) I turned airplane mode back on, and left Wi-Fi off as well this time.

f) I went to VVM. Same "not available" message on screen along with the latest message.

g) I listened to the new message and then deleted it, all with no problems in spite of being in airplane mode with Wi-Fi turned off.

Visual Voicemail over Wi-Fi? | Apple Support Communities

SDShaun
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out!

0 Likes
ktolento

Yes planning a trip and need to call Mexico can you add the plan and when I return can you remove?

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes