Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Will putting a device that has been submerged in water in a bag of rice really help?
Miami7042

I've been told to submerge the my iphone in rice. Some say this is just a myth. Also how can I take the back off to let the inside dry?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: recently dropped Iphone 6s in water. I can only hear now through the speaker phone. Is the dry rice method a myth?
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

No it is not a myth. Rice acts as a desiccant, absorbing moisture from the air inside the bag. As the moisture inside your phone evaporates it is absorbed by the rice.

Of course, the following placed in a sealed plastic bag with the phone would work better.

Amazon.com - Silica Gel Desiccants 2-1/4 x 1 1/2 Inches - 25 Silica Gel Packets of 10 Grams Each by ...

Keep in mind, simply because it is not a myth does not mean that it always works.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Re: recently dropped Iphone 6s in water. I can only hear now through the speaker phone. Is the dry rice method a myth?
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

No it is not a myth. Rice acts as a desiccant, absorbing moisture from the air inside the bag. As the moisture inside your phone evaporates it is absorbed by the rice.

Of course, the following placed in a sealed plastic bag with the phone would work better.

Amazon.com - Silica Gel Desiccants 2-1/4 x 1 1/2 Inches - 25 Silica Gel Packets of 10 Grams Each by ...

Keep in mind, simply because it is not a myth does not mean that it always works.Smiley Happy

Weth
Sr. Leader

The dry rice method can work in some instances, but it won't fix every phone that has been dunked in water. The best bet is always keep power off and battery disconnected (impossible with iPhone since you cannot easily take the back off) and immediately put in dry rice for several days. Once a phone has water damage, all sorts of gremlins can start popping up as time goes on. Your best bet is turn the phone completely off, put it in dry rice for at least 72 hours and hope for the best. If it doesn't work after the 3 days, it is unlikely to ever work again, and it is likely that more things will start acting "funny"

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Weth thank you for sharing that information. Miami7042, I am sorry to hear about your device being damaged. Do you have insurance on your phone? If so you can always file an insurance claim at www.phoneclaim.com/verizon.
AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes