data overage on iphone 6 verizon edge plan
Queen_TheHeard

Replaced 3 iphone 4(s) with iphone 6(s) in November.  Changed to Verizon Edge and increased shared data from 6 GB to 10 GB for roughly the same rate (and thought that it sounded "too good to be true" at the time).

Since activating the iphone 6(s) in November, data consumption has increased from < 6 GB per month to upwards of 11 GB per month (confirming "too good to be true").

The plan that I went with in November is no longer available.  SO, to increase my shared data, I must purchase a plan at a much higher rate.

Has anyone else experienced this with Verizon?  If so, how did you resolve.

Are there settings on the iphone 6 that could assist with data consumption?

Thanks for any help - NH

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: data overage on iphone 6 verizon edge plan
btcompute
Contributor - Level 2

Queen_TheHeard,

You asked:

"Are there settings on the iphone 6 that could assist with data consumption?"

If you go to Settings...Cellular, and scroll down the page, you will see a list of all your apps. The ones that have used cell data indicate how much they have used (74.2 KB, 1.5 MB, etc). You can turn off cell data for any apps you want to use only with wifi.

System Services, near the bottom of the list, will tell you what iphone processes (other than apps) used data.

At the bottom of the screen is a Reset Statistics option. You can reset this at any time to track data usage from that point on.

You may also want to log into your Verizon account online and see list of when and how much data was used. This might tell you how/when your high amounts of data were used.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
EARLMUCK

"If you go to Settings...Cellular, and scroll down the page, you will see a list of all your apps. The ones that have used cell data indicate how much they have used (74.2 KB, 1.5 MB, etc). You can turn off cell data for any apps you want to use only with wifi."

My iphone 6 (iOS 10.1.1) does not show usage-- only an on/off switch. How can I find out what is swallowing all the data. My wife's phone (in a non-wifi environment) is using data at 100X the rate mine is (in a wifi environment).

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Your iPhone does show usage.

Go to Settings - Cellular

You will see a section called "Use Cellular Data For:" This section controls whether cellular data can be used for each app (turn on and off) but also will show the amount of cellular data usage for each app if there is any - you will see some apps have a reports KB, MB, or GB number that is the of cellular data use.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom, there is Reset Statistics. That zeroes all the counters out so you can start monitoring from that point forward. While you are down at the bottom, consider turning of wifi assist.

0 Likes