how to unlock i phone 6 which is given as replacement. verizon states all 4g phones are unlocked but apple confirms my phone is locked to verizon.
iphoneinternational

How do i use my iPhone 6 with local sim for international travel. When I place local sim, I get a message invalid sim and that I need to unlock the phone. I talked to verizon customer service and they state all iPhone 6 phones are unlocked and that they can not unlock anymore, when I talk to apple customer service they state that my phone is locked to verizon and they can not unlock it. how do i get to use my iPhone 6 for foreign travel

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: how to unlock i phone 6 which is given as replacement. verizon states all 4g phones are unlocked but apple confirms my phone is locked to verizon.
Weth
Legend

all Verizon iPhones 6 s are sold unlocked, so it is something else.   There are several troubleshooting steps for invalid SIM error.   Do a Google search.  Basic wise though, Turn off phone, take out SIM and rub SIM, put back in, turn phone back on.   If that doesn't work, reset network settings.   In some cases a back and full restore through iTunes is needed. 

0 Likes
Re: how to unlock i phone 6 which is given as replacement. verizon states all 4g phones are unlocked but apple confirms my phone is locked to verizon.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

iphoneinternational,

Look no further help is here! Do you currently has service with VZW? Are you trying to use a local carrier sim card for service while outside the USA? The iPhone 6 is unlocked for international use with local carrier sim cards. If you are having issues activating the phone with the local sim you will need to reach out to the local carrier for assistance.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
iphoneinternational

Thanks for the reply. I tried resetting the phone and even tried full restore twice but still I get error messages on all the local sims cards that i try-both GSM and CDMI staying invalid sim and that I need to unlock my phone. APPLE confirms that my iPhone 6 is locked to verizon and that they can not unlock my phone and verizon needs to unlock my phone. I understand verizon states they sell all unlocked iPhone 6 but I think there is a mistake in locking my phone to verizon as my present phone was a replacement phone to my original iPhone 6. I hope verizon can look at my phone's serial number and actually try to see if it is locked to their service and unlock it if it is locked.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand that some people use different SIM cards while traveling internationally. We are not able to guarantee that SIM cards will work while traveling abroad. You can find out more information in regards to the Unlock Policy here: http://vz.to/1zP5rDn Would you like to use our international services?
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

DId you try to restore through iTunes on a computer?  Apple does make mistakes. Was it ever active on any other carrier?

0 Likes
iphoneinternational

I restored through I tunes. It was a replacement phone sent by verizon so I am not sure if it was active on any other network but apple confirms that it is locked to verizon and not to any other network.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Sorry, I don't have anything else for you.   Verizon doesn't lock these phones, so not sure how it is locked.  Even if Verizon somehow locked it, prior to the everything is unlocked policy, Verizon would only unlock phones that were active on Verizon's system.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

AH, perhaps @Weth just hit the nail on the head....   Was the phone active on Verizon BEFORE you left the U.S. And inserted another SIM card?

i Also thought I read something about an anomaly in some Verizon phones being unlocked, but not the GSM side of the phone.  But my memory could be faulty.

0 Likes
USMC_Veteran
Enthusiast - Level 3

iphoneinternational, after looking at these posts on here....LOL wow some people. Of course your phone was active on the Verizon network before you left...lol

Anyway to answer the question again as a former AppleCare agent I would say that Apple is not aware that Verizon actually does not lock phones in general. The iPhones especially. So with that being said the phones are hit or miss with other carrier SIMs. If you are seeing a SIM lock code or PUK unlock code needed, that Verizon can provide. Just call tech support.

Hope this helps

0 Likes