iPhone 6 trade-in scam
JNowick1
Enthusiast - Level 2

After going into the local corporate Verizon store to look into the iPhone trade-in program, the worker told me I would have to order the iPhone 6 and it would be faster to do it online (He also commented that my iPhone 4s was "in really good condition and would qualify" for the program). So I went home and placed the order, sometime later I received the shipping materials to send my iPhone 4s in to Verizon. My iPhone 4s was appraised for $200.00, which is more than third party companies were offering, so I decided to trade it in.

Being a former Verizon employee, I knew that I needed to remove find my iPhone, fully charge my phone, and reset my phone to factory settings. Also, being a former Verizon employee I should have known that this was a scam to rip customers off. Today I received an email telling me that I received a $36.00 rebate. Obviously I was very upset. I was not surprised to read on the community forums that a lot of other people were having the same problems.

I called customer service and the person I talked to was very nice, but basically explained that there was nothing he could do. He offered to transfer me to the trade in program's phone system, after being hung up on twice by the automated system I am now not only very annoyed and upset, but I am also disappointed that I am being scammed by a company that I have been loyal to for almost 10 years. At this point I am prepared to involve the Better Business Bureau and the attorney generals office.

My phone had no damage and powered on without issue. I am now contemplating changing carriers due to this issue. Not only are other carriers cheaper, but they also are loyal to their customers. If you are contemplating participating in the trade-in program DO NOT.

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone 6 trade-in scam
JimE1222
Enthusiast - Level 1

Too bad that this discussion wasn't available earlier.  I completed the online forms for trading in two eligible iphones in late September.  I have been trying to obtain information regarding the rebate packages and have been told several times that they would ship shortly.  Today I again tried to find out information regarding the packages. Talked to several different sites throughout the day and upon getting a special number for the rebate packages I had to call several times  to get through.  Upon getting through, I was asked for a number, that Verizon apparently didn't send me when I first completed the trade in forms, and when I didn't have it, the call was curtly ended by the Verizon rep.  After calling another Verizon number, I was told that Verizon supposedly sent me emails regarding the trade in's.  I looking back, I did not receive anything from Verizon except the acknowledgement regarding my order for the two replacement phones.  Now I'm out $400 due to Verizon's ineptitude.  Too bad that my contract renewed.  Last time that I will be with Verizon.

JNowick1
Enthusiast - Level 2

After about 5 total phone calls my plight was "escalated". They sent me an email about 3 days later and said that they would make "a one time exception" and credited me the rest of the $200.00. The wording made it sound like they were doing me a favor, but no Verizon, you just completed your side of the deal. Unless you have 2 hours of your personal time to waste, I would still not recommend trading in your phone to Verizon. They just want to keep your phone off of the secondary market. Use a third party trade-in program or E b a y (trying to keep from getting censored).

P.S. call regular customer service, not the trade-in department. You will either get hung up on or talk to someone who lacks basic communications skills.

Scammed999
Enthusiast - Level 1

My complaints are the same as many others. I set up the trade in for an iPhone 4 for an iPhone 6. I confirmed over the phone multiple times and in two different stores, that my phone would qualify for the $200 trade-in value, but was instructed that I must complete the process online.  I was told by a store rep that I would instantly receive a $200 gift card, which I could use to pay our bill.  I NEVER would have ordered the phone for less than a $200 trade-in value, and I would not have ordered it if I knew I would have to wait this long for reimbursement. 

I ordered my phone online and completed the trade-in process.  I received the iPhone 6 much quicker than expected, but with it received a label and envelope to “donate” my phone.  This was suspicious to me, so I called Verizon. Turns out the label that they sent me was for the Hopeline and if I returned my phone in that envelope it would be donated.  They said they would send me out the correct supplies for the trade in program.

A few weeks later, as the deadline was approaching, I still had not received the materials.  They said they were experiencing overwhelming delays and that the deadline had been extended.  Materials would be sent to me shortly.  I did finally receive the materials and followed the directions precisely.  As I have been burned by Verizon before, I spent 2 hours meticulously following the instructions, consulting with online tutorials and contacting customer support to make sure I was turning in my phone according to specifications.  All of my data was deleted.  iPhone finder was definitely disabled.  My phone met all of the qualifications for the $200 trade-in value. 

The final kick in the teeth was the email I just received from Verizon saying my trade-in value was worth $36.  WHAT KIND OF RIDICULOUS SCAM IS THIS???  Come on Verizon!  Does customer satisfaction mean anything to you?  This is complete bull.  My phone was in perfect working condition and I want the $200 trade-in value I was promised. I’m now expected to sit on the phone with customer service for hours only to be bounced from department to department.  Is the BBB my only recourse?  Try taking care of your customers instead of constantly trying to screw them over.

Any advice on how to get the full $200 trade-in value promised?

0 Likes
JNowick1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Call them until your complaint is "escalated". Getting escalated basically means the decision to grant your request is out of the customer service person's pay-grade. After my complaint was "escalated" I received an email saying they would make a "one time" exception. If you have to, tell them you will call the BBB.