iPhone 6 using ton of data and no one at Verizon or Best Buy will help.
raceme63
Enthusiast - Level 2

My iPhone 6 is still using tons of data.  I've been told to turn off cellular data.  I thought if I did that that I can't get phone calls or text messages from non-iPhones.  Is this correct?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 6 using ton of data and no one at Verizon or Best Buy will help.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

raceme63, we're stepping in to help.You can still receive incoming calls when cellular data is disabled. However, you will be unable to recieve iMessages.

Have you downloaded applications to your iPhone? If so, you can disable data for applications in Settings>Cellular>Scroll down to your applications>Tap the application to disable. This will only allow those applications to access data when there is a Wi-Fi connection available. Connecting to Wi-Fi will not use your data allowance.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

raceme63, we're stepping in to help.You can still receive incoming calls when cellular data is disabled. However, you will be unable to recieve iMessages.

Have you downloaded applications to your iPhone? If so, you can disable data for applications in Settings>Cellular>Scroll down to your applications>Tap the application to disable. This will only allow those applications to access data when there is a Wi-Fi connection available. Connecting to Wi-Fi will not use your data allowance.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
raceme63
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  So if cellular data is off will text messages take longer to go out and be received?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Regular text messages will not take longer with data off.  However MMS messages need data on to work. These are group messages, picture, video, and texts with special characters and emoticons.  iMessages need wifi or data on. 

Weth
Legend

How much is a ton of data? What apps are using the data (settings/cellular look at apps, data amount Listed with app.  Reset to zero to monitor. 

0 Likes
raceme63
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just switched to the iPhone 6 and not doing anything differently app wise.  It's a mystery to me why all of a sudden I switch from the 5 to the 6 and I've already used 1 gig of my 2 gigs for the month in the first 3 days of the new billing period.  Funny how Verizon won't help.  Definitely looking for another carrier to switch to.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I don't think it will matter who you switch to. In general the iPhone 6 will use more data than the previous model doing the same tasks...and the iPhone 6+ will use more than that. The problem very well may not be Verizon. Try looking at some of the suggestions on the Internet for trying to cut down on your iPhone 6 data consumption to see if they help (if you haven't already).