iPhone 6s // CDMA or GSM or both?
YC78
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an iPhone 6s which I read is supposed to be both CDMA and GSM compatible but is sometimes locked once used on a network.

I have Verizon, but no 2 year contract, so is my phone NOT locked to CDMA since I dont have a contract?

Traveling soon and would prefer to bring this phone instead of my old GSM iphone 5 I traveled with before Smiley Happy

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 6s // CDMA or GSM or both?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

When traveling abroad, I too would want to use the latest phone I own for international usage. Just makes things easier! YC78, your 6s should work while traveling, as we do not lock our devices.

You should be able to either add a package that is compatible with the country you are visiting, or insert a local SIM card for service.

Here is a link that helps cover international service.

http://spr.ly/6582B5z8p

NicandroNdVZW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

When traveling abroad, I too would want to use the latest phone I own for international usage. Just makes things easier! YC78, your 6s should work while traveling, as we do not lock our devices.

You should be able to either add a package that is compatible with the country you are visiting, or insert a local SIM card for service.

Here is a link that helps cover international service.

http://spr.ly/6582B5z8p

NicandroNdVZW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Weth
Legend

None of the iPhone LTE phones are locked to Verizon and can be used on other compatible LTE networks GSM networks and the quickly disappearing CDMA networks. Remember even when you are here in the states most of the time you're not even using CDMA anymore with this iPhone 6s as  LTE is an extension of GSM.  Your phone will work great in Europe just make sure you have the right plan as noted above. One thing to consider is their new plan which allows you to use your own minutes text and data plan for $10 a day while traveling depending on how much you're going to use your phone that could be an expensive deal or actually a good deal

YC78
Enthusiast - Level 1

Perfect! Just making sure. Thank you so much - very exciting!

0 Likes