iPhone trade in program a scam?
lmkane80
Enthusiast - Level 2

I applied for the $200 promotional iphone trade in program online, I was provided with an amount of $85 as an appraised value + $115 promotional credit for a total of $200 for my phone, which I planned on using as payment for my new iphone 6. After following all the instructions to remove the "find my iphone" app and return to factory settings, I packaged my phone as instructed in the package provided and mailed my phone in. I would like to note that my iphone 4S was in pristine condition and had never been out of its case and had a protective covering over the glass. I waited several weeks and was becoming worried that my phone had not been received. There was no tracking number on these packages so there was no way to follow up. Several calls to the trade-in program to ask about my phone were not productive. I was horrified today when I got the email from Verizon indicating that they had received my phone and were only providing a value of $76 on the e-gift card with the reason stated that my phone was damaged/cracked (with no real proof of this condition/picture). Despite several calls to Verizon and the trade-in program today to let them know that I had pictures to prove that my phone was not damaged prior to me mailing in and letting them know that they should have my records to show internet usage/phone calls just prior to resetting to factory as it was still being used - I was only told they could "escalate" my complaint. However, according to the response of several others - it is unlikely I will ever  hear back.

Had I known it was going to happen like this, I would have kept the iphone as a backup and used as an ipod with wifi. I researched further and on Verizon's own community boards, I read there were several other cases like mine where customers had submitted perfectly good phones in for credit only to have been told that upon arrival, their phones were damaged or no longer working. What a scam!  I still can't believe that Verizon is treating their long-term customers like this. Shame on you VERIZON!!!!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone trade in program a scam?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lmkane80,

I'm saddened to hear of your frustrations with the trade in program.  The program and value offered for these iPhones is a great deal.  I know it must've been alarming to see that you did not receive the value that you expected.  However, if there is any physical or water damage found on the device it will depreciate the value. 

You can view this link for identifying device damage for any future transactions; http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how_to_use/device-damage.html#port

Please let us know if you need anything at all.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lmkane80,

I'm saddened to hear of your frustrations with the trade in program.  The program and value offered for these iPhones is a great deal.  I know it must've been alarming to see that you did not receive the value that you expected.  However, if there is any physical or water damage found on the device it will depreciate the value. 

You can view this link for identifying device damage for any future transactions; http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how_to_use/device-damage.html#port

Please let us know if you need anything at all.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lmkane80
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone was NOT damaged and as I stated, I have time stamped pictures to prove this. Had my phone been damaged, don't you think I would have turned it in for repair/replacement using the insurance coverage I have been paying for????

wiseacre
Enthusiast - Level 1

I filed my complaint with the BBB this morning.  Verizon has gotten too big and Customer Service is lacking.  I find it odd that I was on the phone with the representative in early October same day I made my payment online and now no tracking number no order status nothing.  This tells me that Verizon had an overwhelming response  and are not capable of handling the mass requests for the I6… Verizon you may end up loosing more than a few customers over how you have mishandled this matter. 

I will include my complaint paperwork on Facebook and other social networking outlets if this is not resolved appropriately.

When your customer representative tells me well we can't guarantee any orders made on our website - something is seriously wrong.

Ormis
Enthusiast - Level 3

BBB appears to be the only way to get a resolution. I had talked to 5-6 agents without getting anywhere. I even emailed the regional president, and was told I would receive a response within 24 hours, but my inquiry was completely ignored. My complaint was "escalated" twice and I never heard back.

Filing with the BBB is easy. I had a response from Verizon within 24 hours and a full credit ($400 for two phones) within hours. It's unfortunate that their regular customer service avenues appear to be broken down. If you've tried to resolve it and are unsuccessful, just go through BBB.

keandau
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am going to add my voice to this whole scam...

We too, were told that we qualified for the $200 for 2 different iPhones.   We just got our "gift cards" today;  $76 each.   We received no explanation, just the reduced amount. 

Is this just a scam?  Bad decision on my part to believe Verizon - the company spying on its customers by using supercookies.

KBash
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too think this is a scam.  I instituted the trade before Oct 15th VIA PHONE WITH VERIZON and was told that the iphone 6 was backordered until Oct 31.  I was told that as long as the transaction was initiated before the 15th that I would get 200.00 regardless of when I sent my iphone 4s back.   When I activated the new iphone 6, I went online to complete the trade in information for my 4s.  Couldn't find a label for my 4s to submit it, called Verizon, was told to go onto the trade in site to get the label.  Tried that, still no label AND the trade in site quoted me some low number, not $200.00 I was promised.  I have called multiple times, and admittedly have gotten quite heated with the "customer service" people.  I called the trade in department and that representative escalated it.  Got an email timed 3:45am Dec 2 that I should take the phone to a Verizon Store.  Why?  I didn't do the trade with a store why get them involved?  Today I called and tried to rein my temper in...told the representative the story, she put me on hold several times and then told me Verizon had to have the 4s by Dec 1 to honor that trade in..REALLY (insert sarcasm here) why wasn't I told that in any of my other phone calls?  Uh huh..Asked to speak to a supervisor who told me he couldn't help me because they didn't have the 4s back.  Also talked over me when I was talking. (Again..REALLY?)  I finally called him a name. (admittedly not my finest hour but by now the frustration is over the top) and hung up.  I then called Financial Services who has been calling for my bill payment, and told them that without the 200.00 card I could not pay my bill so they would have to figure it out and not to call me anymore.  And if they shut my service off, I will consider it a breach of contract on their part b/c they lied about the $200.00 credit so not to expect to get paid for the past usage OR the termination fee.  Looks like as of Friday I will be on an AT&T Plan.   Sure glad I didn't blindly send the 4s off as so many people have gotten screwed.  Straight Talk wireless also is looking pretty good...

bjm1075
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too believe this is a scam.  I traded in iPhone 4s and received $76.00 gift card.  Prior to sending in my phone,  I had drove 45 minutes to closest Verizon Wireless store to have phone appraised to be sure I would receive the $200.  The guy in the Niagara Fall store told me yes I would without even looking at it ( he didn't want to be bothered).  So I placed it in the mail and I was quite shocked to see I only received $76.00.  I have emailed 5 times with no response.  So I will be contacting the BBB.

lmkane80
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have filed a complaint with the BBB. Waiting on the outcome.

Lisa Kane

0 Likes
bjm1075
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just did also.

0 Likes