iphone 6 plus touch disease
dsiegman77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I believe my iPhone 6 plus (which I think is less than a year old) is experiencing touch disease. I have not had this phone long at all and am very frustrated and upset. I am in a device monthly payment agreement. What is Verizon going to do for me, a long time customer, to remedy this? I am not going to continue paying the monthly payments for a phone that doesn't work. AND I do not want to get it replaced with another iPhone 6 plus that will likely have the same issue in the future. What are my options? I hope Verizon can help make this right for me and offer me some options. I know it is not their fault/ issue, it is Apple's, but still, Verizon sold me the phone, which I technically do not own yet since it's on an installment payment agreement.

Thanks,

Danielle

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iphone 6 plus touch disease
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Your options are:

1. if under a year old and still covered under warranty having it replaced under warranty with the same model. You won't get an iPhone 7 or anything like that.

2. if it's not under warranty getting it repaired yourself unless you pay for insurance or have AppleCare+. It would still be repaired or replaced with the same model.

You wI'll continue to owe the balance of your DPP unless you're eligible to trade it in for a new device BUT if it's deemed to not be in good working order (which it sounds like you're saying it's not) then you aren't eligible and you will be charged for the remaining balance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dsiegman77
Enthusiast - Level 2

BUMP! Anyone from Verizon want to weigh in on this?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Your options are:

1. if under a year old and still covered under warranty having it replaced under warranty with the same model. You won't get an iPhone 7 or anything like that.

2. if it's not under warranty getting it repaired yourself unless you pay for insurance or have AppleCare+. It would still be repaired or replaced with the same model.

You wI'll continue to owe the balance of your DPP unless you're eligible to trade it in for a new device BUT if it's deemed to not be in good working order (which it sounds like you're saying it's not) then you aren't eligible and you will be charged for the remaining balance.

0 Likes
dsiegman77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response. That really won't be a satisfactory solution to me because if they replace it with the same model I could be in the same boat again in a few months. I'm not paying $600 for a possibly defective phone that could eventually be worthless. I'm going to call and see what they say. Even if they just gave me a 6s plus that would be acceptable. I don't need a 7, nor would I ask for one. I'm on my phone right now so it is working, the touch issue is intermittent, but I'm afraid of it getting worse.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You can try your luck but they won't give you a 6s Plus either. That's not what you have and warranty replacements are meant to replace the device with equal quality. A 6s Plus is an upgrade from what you currently have. Better camera, faster processor etc. This policy would be true no matter what device you had by whatever manufacturer. They replace with what you have.

As far as the "disease"...honestly not aware of such a thing. You have a failure...which could be because of a part failing early or it could be because of some sort of damage (which can occur even if you didn't realize it). I had a 6 Plus that had a screen failure after 11 months. Took it to Apple...they determined it was not damaged and replaced it with the same model. That was a year ago next month and the replacement continues to work perfectly. It was g to my son when i decided I wanted the 6s Plus and he needed a phone. Ultimately you have to understand what the warranty provides you. It does not provide you an upgrade from your device. It provides you with the ability to get a repair or replacement of the device you originally purchased with that same (with exception of if they can't replace the same color for example) device. Once that replacement happens you will only continue to have the remainder of the original warranty or 90 days...whichever is longer. So if you didn't have AppleCare+ which would extend your warranty to 2 years you would only be covered for whatever time was left....not your full 2 year device payment plan. The only way to have additional coverage outside of that is if you purchased insurance coverage (you may be eligible to add it when they have open enrollment if you didn't have it already).

At any rate...good luck with whatever happens.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You won't get a 6S, if it us replaced, it will be replaced with another 6 plus. 

Go through Apple not Verizon.

0 Likes
dsiegman77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I do have insurance on the phone. If you Google touch disease it is a well-known thing these days with the iPhone 6 and 6+ models.  Evidently Apple didn't secure these 2 touch chips underneath the screen to the motherboard correctly. Everyone is saying it is a major design flaw that Apple is refusing to acknowledge.  Thousands of people are complaining all over the Internet and Apple refuses to fix  or acknowledge the problem. There are a couple of class action lawsuits that I may join as well.  I'm sorry but that's ridiculous on the phone that I'm paying $650. That's unacceptable to me. Thanks for your input.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Not saying the issue doesn't exist. Just saying I've never heard of it and haven't experienced it with any of the 4 iPhones (a 6, a 6 plus, a 6s, and a 6s Plus) in my household. All of which are at least a year old with exception to the 6s Plus which is 10 months old. I've never had an issue with Apple fixing/replacing a device that shows a clear problem so I can't say I've ever experienced a time where they refused to do anything Unless you mean they don't have a recall on the issue you're having. But ultimately getting it replaced is your option. Like I said...that would be true no matter what phone you had. Replacement with same device or repair of your current one. Being on a DPP doesn't guarantee that your device will be trouble free for 2 years..much like the old 2 year agreement didn't guarantee you that regardless of the price of the phone. Youre only covered for 1 year with the manufacturer warranty...hence the purpose of extended warranty options like AppleCare + or insurance plans. Otherwise things like that wouldn't exist because they wouldn't make any money.

If you've had it close to a year or more you can get it replaced under warranty and then trade it in for upgrade but you would end up starting over in your DPP agreement. Might be something worth considering if you are really determined to get a newer model than the 6. You said that you would accept a 6s Plus but you also mentioned that the issue exists on that model according to your research of complaints about the "disease". If that's the case...it would seem that the 6s Plus wouldn't put your mind anymore at ease if that's really what your concern with a replacement device is. Just something to think about. Hopefully you'll get some clarity when you call Verizon. If you're told what we've already told you then consider the suggestion I gave (accept replacement and then trade it in to upgrade to the 7). Good luck either way

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

And I just realized that you were saying the issue existed on the 6 and 6 plus models but you didn't say the 6s series. I misread that which is why I made the comment about concern for the 6s Plus in my previous comment. Sorry about that.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dsiegman77,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your device. I know I depend on my phone. We greatly appreciate your loyalty with us and we want to make sure you have a working device. We have not heard of any issues with the screen on the iPhone 6. What type of issues are you having? Is there any physical or liquid damage on the device?

If we have done all troubleshooting on your device and you are still under the one year manufactures warranty we can replace the device. This is provided by Apple as it will be the same make and model device.

However, I am confident we can work together and get your device working.

RobinD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes