poor voice quality on "advanced calling" feature
sdt

Just got a new 6+. people immediately began to tell me i was unclear on (my) phone.

sound wasnt so great with ear to phone, either.

after much struggle, someone in a verizon store turned off advanced calling "on my account."

that seemed to do the trick.

i was told its still new, and in "non-HD enabled areas" (that is, most everywhere), the voice qualilty is not going to be great.

thanks Verizon for not giving me the choice at the beginning.

how courteous it would have been for the agent to say " this could affect voice quality until we get our network ramped up."

actually, I'm sure he would have, if he had known. they are trained to push new technology down your throat. oh, well. lesson learned.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: poor voice quality on "advanced calling" feature
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
sdt

We want you to love your phone! I do apologize that your were having issues with sound on your device when Advance calling was enabled. This is a great feature to use when on Verizon's 4G LTE coverage area only. Outside of this coverage could be challenging. Glad we were able to remove the feature and have you phone working the way it should be. Feel free to reach out to us if we are able to assist with anything in the future.

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
sdt

We want you to love your phone! I do apologize that your were having issues with sound on your device when Advance calling was enabled. This is a great feature to use when on Verizon's 4G LTE coverage area only. Outside of this coverage could be challenging. Glad we were able to remove the feature and have you phone working the way it should be. Feel free to reach out to us if we are able to assist with anything in the future.

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Weth
Legend

That is not generally the experience.   I have a 6 Plus and the voice quality is much better with Advanced calling or VoLTE.   Either something is wrong, or you are in a marginal LTE area. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I have to agree with Weth. You're probably in an area that hasn't rolled out the technology fully. In my area and most areas I travel to advanced calling is much clearer and there isn't any trouble with the call quality regardless of who I speak to. Since you're saying it sounds better with the service off I imagine it's your area. Otherwise I'd think you just got a bad device.

0 Likes
sdt

attention customer abc, IS Tampa bay in a "marginal LTE calling area?" seems hard to believe. we are not exactly a small town. how do I know my phone is not defective? I have until next Saturday to return it. please have the area manager contact me directly on my device of record. all of this does not sit well with me.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

I live in a very large city and Advanced Calling sucks.  Drops call constantly and the voice quality wasn't any better.  I will say though, I knew going into it that the technology is new and there could be hiccups.  I'm assuming the full rollout of the technology hasn't happened yet in my area.  Until the kinks are worked out, I've disabled the feature.  It'll be a great feature once we have the technology here for it...

0 Likes
sdt

a week ago, at the VZ store, if I had been given the option, TRULY, that is, that my call quality would suck for an indeterminate amt of time, I wouldn't have upgraded. I would have waited. my phone is my only connection with my parents who live far away, and for them to not understand me on the phone, was criminal of VZ, in my opinion.  Also, for those first hearing about this, there are actually 3 features that need to be disabled. advanced calling , HD calling, and HD access. the phone guy in the store told me he disabled advanced calling, but the problem was back the next day. I called vz protect, and they  removed all 3 and so far so good. this aggravation really pisses me off.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If you feel like you have a defective device then by all means return it to the store for a replacement or refund (although if you go for a refund you will have to pay a restocking fee). Just because you live in a larger area doesn't mean the technology for the feature has fully rolled out in your area. Having the feature turned off in the mean time doesn't affect your ability to call and use your phone as you would have if the feature never existed. If the frustration is that you only upgraded to this particular phone because you wanted this specific feature and it's not working then I can understand that fully. But the way you're wording it on here is as if you're more upset that your phone calls have been affected by having to turn the feature off...which it hasn't. Just the ability to use advanced calling and to use the internet while on a call.

I can say that when I was in the Orlando/Tampa area recently I didn't experience any trouble with call quality or advanced calling but my experience is limited. I was only there for 2 weeks and I may have been in parts of both cities that allowed my phone to work well. I may have had a different experience if I were in your particular area of use. IDK. But you getting irate at fellow customers that are responding because you don't like what's being said isn't going to change what ever it is that you're experiencing. You are within the 14 day return period. You can ask for a replacement. You can opt to return the phone and use your old one until you feel like the feature is working properly in your area of need. Or you can keep the phone and just keep the feature off until you see it's working better in your area. Either way, good luck with whichever you choose.

0 Likes
sdt

Actually, I upgraded because I wanted the larger screen. when they mentioned the advanced calling, i was like “whatever!”. didnt think it would be such a pain in the ass.

i am going to see how it goes this week with all that crap off. if someone complains about the quality again, i will have to take action.

i’m in the edge program, so basically, i lease my phone from vz. the old eye5 got turned in – bye!

i know that numbers are ported and so forth, but I am thinking that maybe where my number resides, in the particular area or tower where it starts from, that THAT particular juncture has not been upgraded.

maybe, if your home cell or whatever is upgraded, it doesnt matter where you go. you will still have the advanced calling working or something like that.

i think it truly sucks of them, however, to not tell you the whole deal.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Unlike other carriers that are rolling out VoLTE in market by market, Advanced Calling is enabled EVERYWHERE. Where people are getting VoLTE is only in some places and not other is curious.

Also if you have AC enabled and are talking to another person that has AC enabled the call quality is night and day ahead of regular call quality.