recieved a security request today via text. Is it valid
Danidog
Enthusiast - Level 1

received a mandatory security update to validate details. Is it Verizon or a hack? Phone is IPhone 6S

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: recieved a security request today via text. Is it valid
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You give good advice, bcook2001. Verizon Wireless will never ask for credit card information over a text message or public forum. You are absolutely correct when you told your daughter that it was spam. As mentioned above you can forward those text messages to SPAM (7726). We can then investigate and shut that site down.

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Danidog! That's a great question. You want to ensure that all updates are appropriate. What is the software version it is requesting to go to? Please go to Settings >general > Software Update > the most current version is 9.2.1. Keep us posted.

KristieQ_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Danidog
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, appears to be a hack. Here is exactly what it says (I have the current update already)

[Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

Thank you,

Verizon Moderator

Which happens to be my phone number.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Danidog,

You account security is extremely important to us. This message was definitely not set by us. Please make sure to not provided any account information and if you have please keep us posted to secure the account.  You can always call our team at 1-800-922-0203.  As feel free to forward this message to our team.  You can send the message to SPAM (7726).

YareliM_VZW

0 Likes
sarahbleau2014
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received the exact same

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want our customers being compromised by scammers, sarahbleau2014. We want to ensure that update message is investigated throughly. How did this message appear on your phone (i.e. sent as a text, etc)? What was the content of the message?

LynnD_VZW

0 Likes
bcook2001

My daughter received a similar text and I told her to do nothing as it's probably spam

or someone phising for credit card information and that I would contact Verizon.

The text was from the phone number: [Removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

Thank you,

Verizon Moderator

(VZW FREE MSG) VZW

ACCOUNT UDPATE: Valid

card information is

required to restore your

account:

mmobile.updatever2016.us/update/?

id=0012401xxxxxxxxx  (her phone number)

Thanks for investigating.

Bob

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You give good advice, bcook2001. Verizon Wireless will never ask for credit card information over a text message or public forum. You are absolutely correct when you told your daughter that it was spam. As mentioned above you can forward those text messages to SPAM (7726). We can then investigate and shut that site down.

AllisonC_VZW

0 Likes