Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unexplained data usage
LORKIS38

I am very concerned about unexplained data usage. Constantly showing data usage when phones are on WiFi at home. Have already had to change data plans once to increase data for this billing cycle and data usage still going up and up and up. I swear it seems like a ploy to make us change plans again to a bigger data plan. Very unacceptable and crooked looking. And yes, I have already looked up "view data details" hence I know that the phones were on wifi during these MULTIPLE large unexplained data usages. And these are 2 phone lines that do not use Facebook, YouTube or any other large data streaming apps.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: unexplained data usage
dexman

What is the make/model of the phones in question? If they are recent Apple iPhones, is the WiFi Assist feature turned on?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with a 1G per month allotment. The 4G/LTE is kept disabled at all times unless I'm away from WiFi service and I'm expecting an important text or Email. By leaving cellular data switched off when not actively needed, data usage is kept in check with no billing surprises.

Some administrative tasks, which usually take place overnight, may be accounting for some of the data consumption.

My thought is to keep 4G/LTE disabled when trusted WiFi service is available and see if that makes a difference.

LORKIS38

It is an iPhone 6s and the WiFi assist is already turned off.

0 Likes
dexman

Try disabling 4G/LTE when at home and see if that makes a difference. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

LORKIS38, we always want our customers to be in-the-know of how their data is being used. I welcome the opportunity to address your inquiry. The way data is used can be inconsistent even if doing the same things on your phone. This is because data speeds vary and the faster you're able to access data means the faster you're able to consume it, the sizes of videos in Social Media apps will vary when viewing them and device features will also vary (a camera taking pictures or videos in HD will be bigger than those taken in VGA quality making the data upload of that media to social media sites larger). The good thing when it comes to usage is that most of our phones do keep track of our data usage independently of the Verizon Wireless network. To view cellular usage your phone has tracked, you can go into Settings>Cellular and look at the apps listed under Use Cellular Data for. If these apps are not restricted to WiFi use only, then a data value will appear under the app name. While you can turn cellular data off, please know that some services like Visual Voicemail will not work since it requires a cellular data connection and cannot be used with WiFi. Some GPS based services also require cellular data to work.

EbonyR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes