video sent with my number that is not me
bcjim1956

A friend says he has received texts from me that contain a video - the text and video were NOT from me. Any suggestions?? He said his phone does not have my phone number connected to my e-mail account.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: video sent with my number that is not me
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would be concerned as well, bcjim1956. There's some clarfication we'd need to best figure out what can be the cause on this. Does the text your friend received have a link to this video (if so, do not click on it), or was it included in the text, like a picture would be? Was the text showing in an existing thread between the two of you? Have either of you gotten similar texts from other numbers in your phone? Does he recall downloading anything prior to the strange texts showing up?

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bcjim1956

Thank you for the follow-up,

I have talked to a few people that say that they received a video link from me. One happened immediately after I had sent a text to them. Their phone doesn’t do videos, so nothing happened.

Another received a text from me with an accompanying video (I had not texted them at all). They clicked on the link and it said it could not open.

A third, that I had not texted to, received a text with a link to a video, and they simply deleted the text.

I have since changed my Verizon passwords, in case that was the way they got in. Other than that, I am unsure what I can do.

On a possibly related subject, I did recently receive a hang-up phone call with a number similar to mine from (as I later figured out) Romania ( +4 09 5274027 ). Fortunately I do not have an international plan, so when I pressed return call, my phone would not call to them.

Any suggestions of further actions “ re: videos “ are welcome.

God bless,

Jim McClintock

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Bcjim1956,

We know it can be very alarming when people are receiving your text messages that did not come from your number.  False Caller ID / Caller ID Spoofing is a technique that allows a caller to change the caller identification associated with the number. Spoofing is not caused by an error in the network or your phone. Rather, spoofing usually happens when the calling party uses any one of a number of pay services (such as Spooftel, Spoofer or Spoof Card), which provide a service that enables the calling party to change the message, sent as Caller ID.  We can offer a free Mobile Telephone Number change http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/change-mobile-number-faqs/ .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes