Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,123 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
wifi calling is on sometimes and off other times
antioch_sam

My iPhone 6 connects to WiFi Calling some of the time and does not other times.  Can I force it to connect with WiFi consistently?WiFi

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: wifi calling is on sometimes and off other times
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

antioch.sam I use my Wi-Fi all the time. The iPhone as a feature called Wi-Fi Assist. This feature will drop Wi-Fi if our Network signal is stronger. To turn off the feature go to settings > cellular > scroll down to Wi-Fi Assist and turn it off.

DeloresK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

DANEIG27
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would also like to know how to default my iPhone (7 or 😎 to always use WiFi calling when available.  My Verizon signal stinks at my home, but unlike another carrier, my phone does not revert to WiFi until the signal is seriously deteriorated to the point that call is disrupted or drops.  The goal is to ALWAYS use Wifi when available

FastlinkNetworks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I f if you go in to airplane mode then connect to your WiFi this will solve your problem.  Airplane mode will turn of cellular and your WiFi radio on your phone therefore you will have to go to your WiFi seting and reconnect to your WiFi.   Please note: Going into cellular data and turning it off accually will only turn off cellular data only leaving you with cellular service still.

0 Likes
porticons
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have the same problem. Poor home service, use to be able to use Wifi calling reliably but now it tries to switch to the cell tower if it gets a bar or 2, but these are never good enough to maintain the call. We can put our iPhone 6 into airplane mode allowing it to work well. Our iPhone X will not use wifi calling in airplane mode. Please release a patch that requires good and reliable cell signal before switching off wifi calling.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

porticons, We know how important it is to have reliable service. Allow us to look into this issue with you. Is your iPhone X on the latest iOS? What is your ZIP Code? Do you only have issues with Calls, or with Text Messages, and Data as well?

0 Likes
porticons
Enthusiast - Level 2

iOS 12.0. 28387. Verizon has confirmed our location has poor signal. Data

is OK, but struggle with streaming ams facetime at times on our phones only

(works fine on iPad via WIFI). Blazing fast WiFi which we recently

upgrading hoping it would help (100 Mbps Down, 20 Up). Google mesh network

with 4 extenders and good signal throughout.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 9:05 PM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing us with those details porticons, after upgrading your Wi-Fi services, are you still having issues with your Wi-Fi calling or are you still experiencing the same issues?

Alfredo_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
porticons
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded a few months ago trying to fix these problems, not in the 12

hours between these messages. No, it did not help or else I would still be

here. Many people are reporting this same problem in multiple places,

please get it fixed. It’s an easy fix, keep the phone from switching away

from WiFi calling to a cell tower with poor service or reliability.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 9:55 PM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
huberel1

I am having this issue as well, but I am more concerned with the ability to make a call than if my phone switches.  I have little signal at my home so I put my phone in airplane mode wich foces Wi-Fi connection.  The problem is that VZW Wi-Fi will appear sometimes and be absent at others.  Sometimes calls start then drop, VZW Wi-Fi goes away, and will not come back.  I've tried restarting my phone, restarting my router & Wi-Fi, cycling airplane mode, etc.  Rarely one of these options works but often I'm stuck at my home without the ability to make or recieve a call.  Text messages also wo'nt send durring this time.  What can I do?  I've had this same issue with an iphone 6 & 8.

0 Likes