Cannot group text with multiple platforms
petercalkins
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my iPhone 7, I can neither send nor receive group text messages when the group includes non-iPhone devices.  Individual messages will go through to these users, and groups among iPhones, but not groups with both iPhones and other platforms.  MMS and Group Messaging are activated, iOS updated to 11.1.1.  Is there a  solution to this problem?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot group text with multiple platforms
petercalkins
Enthusiast - Level 2

I couldn’t download the update software through the link you provided - got an “unexpected problem” note.  However, I did download the Verizon Message + app, and when I tried sending a test message through that, got a pop-up that says Integrated Messaging service is unable to send the message because this mobile number does not support multi-media messaging, and suggests I contact the Account Owner for the number to enable multi-media messaging.  This is a corporate phone, so that may be the issue - I’ll connect with our internal IT team on Monday to see what they say.

Peter

Sent from my iPad

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Petercalkins, being able to send out group messages without any issues is so critical. Let’s turn this around together. When did this first start? Does this happen with multiple non-iPhone numbers or just one in the group? What happens when you send the group message (error message, etc.)? Please make sure your “Send as SMS” option is enabled by going into Settings > Messages > Make sure iMessage and Send as SMS are turned on (double check to make sure MMS Messaging and Group Messaging are still on and that none of the numbers are in the Blocked option). Please notify us of the result.

SeanC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
petercalkins
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for responding.  I've had this issue at least as long as I have had this phone (like six months) but perhaps even longer.  When I try to send a group message across multiple platforms I get a little red "Not Delivered" note.  When people try to group text me with multiple platforms, I simply don't get the message but they are not notified I was excluded.    Yes, "Send as SMS" is turned on as are MMS Messaging and Group Messaging, and it says I can be reached by imessage at the phone number, two e-mails and icloud.  I have no numbers blocked at all.

My wife and I have also compared our settings - she is also an iPhone 7 though she has ATT service - and they all seem to match, though she doesn't have this problem.  I talked with Apple today and they sent me to you.

Next idea?   

0 Likes
petercalkins
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh - it happens with multiple non-iPhone numbers as well - my sister on a Motorola device, my son on a Samsung device, etc. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those clues point me in this direction, petercalkins. Sign out of my Apple ID in message settings (Settings> Messages> turned off iMessage) . Next restart your phone, and head back to Settings > Messages to turn on iMessages. Let us know your results.

DavidH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
petercalkins
Enthusiast - Level 2

David, I followed your suggestions above, then tried to send a group text message to an iPhone and a Samsung - same result, a little red "Not Delivered".

Next idea?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you sharing these details with us. Working together, we will get this resolved. There is another setting we  will need to check. Please try settings>messages>send and receive. Please tell make sure taht your cell number is one of the addresses with a check mark by it. We will be here for the results.

Verizon_Customer_Support

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
petercalkins
Enthusiast - Level 2

Simple answer ... Yes.  More detail ..... In the "you can be reached at" box, my cell number is listed and checked though in a grey type, while my e-mail addresses are also listed and checked, but in black.  In the "start new conversations from" box, all possible locations are listed in black type, but only my cell number is checked.   

0 Likes
joeym_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thank you for checking on that for us, PeterCalkins. What we are going to try next is to "reset all settings" in your device. This will not delete any of your personal settings. It will put back to default any customization's you have made to your device like (WiFi & Bluetooth connections, wallpaper, and any specialized ringtones for any of your contacts). If something in your device is causing this issue, this step will help clear it out. To reset all settings in your device, please go into settings>general> reset> and tap on reset all settings. When your device powers back up, retest and see if the issue persists.

JoeyM_VZW       

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
petercalkins
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, the problem still persists - after resetting as suggested, I get the same “Not Delivered” notation to my test message.

Peter Calkins

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes