Re: Cannot group text with multiple platforms
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the insights. Would you please tell us, what is the application you are using for the group messages? Do you receive and error message when you try to reply?

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes
matkittle
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, I'm having the same issue:

I can receive group mms, but I can't respond in the thread: one iPhone user, the other an Android user, as described above. The only way I can get it to semi-work is going into Settings > Messages > Group Messaging set to OFF. The problem there is that when each user replies, it replies in a separate message thread.

1. iPhone 11 Pro Max
  2. Native iPhone messages App
  3. Verizon Prepaid

Judging from this message board, this appears to have been an issue for a while...

MHC96
Enthusiast - Level 1

A few days ago a problem started with sending group text from my iPhone 8. I’ve never had this problem in the two years I’ve had this phone. I’m still running 12.1 because I don’t trust the updates not to mess something up. Plus reading the reviews each time seemed to confirm there was more downside since I was having no issues. Maybe I need to upgrade to 13.3 but nothing I’ve read mentions a fix to the problem I just started having.

It appears if there is an android phone in the group text, the text will fail to send. I can send to the one android alone and it seems to go thru... most of the time. But not sure.  I have hear from Android phone user that when sending group text to me that it appears to them that I get the message, but I don’t. 

I have cked text settings and SMS and MMS and group texting are all on.  The setting that allows receive iMessage to and reply from includes my phone number but it is gray (my email address is in black type). Start new conversations has both phone number and email in black.  

Is anyone experiencing this and/or does anyone have a suggestion to help me.  I’m an older user so not terribly proficient with most of my phone’s capabilities or usage. Thank you. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MHC96, we want all of your messages to work for you. We are here to help.

When this issue occurs have you noticed if your phone is not getting LTE? We ask because your phone would need our actual LTE signal for those messages. Being connected to Wi-Fi while testing can also cause an issue, since that usually stops LTE service as well. 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
benshaver

I'm having this problem on my iPhone X as well.  Can't send any MMS messages or group SMS messages.  One-on-one SMS and iMessage work ok but no group texts can be replied to.

0 Likes
MHC96
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was on this thread as having a problem  Nothing suggested worked.  In frustration, I powered down (I think I had done this one or twice before), and a miracle occured, I can now text to groups.  I have no idea what I really did to fix it....I'm sorry.  Good luck to you...   Try everything, then power down...maybe it will work for you.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is concerning to see that you are having trouble with your group messages, benshaver. We are here to help in any way we can. When did you start having trouble? Are any other services like calls and data being impacted? GeorginaG_VZW

0 Likes
rgerwge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've read this entire thread and all I get is the impression that VZ has a system compatibility issue they won't or can't fix.  

lololala
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having this same group text problem with my iPhone 7 for roughly 4-5 months.  If all of my group members are on iPhones (indicated by blue chat bubbles), I can send and receive messages with no limitations.  If there are Android members in the group (indicated by green chat bubbles), I can receive group messages from either type of sender, with or without emojis/attachments, but I can only respond with text.

In the vast majority of cases, if I try to respond with emojis/attachments, or if I try to initiate a new group text with these items, my phone gets partially through the send function then stops.  The blue/green line that runs left to right at the top of the screen gets 90% of the way across, then stops, sits for roughly 10-30 seconds, and then I get the red "!" symbol and "Not Delivered" notification.  This occurs whether I'm on LTE or wi-fi.

Just to keep me coming back, though, eeeeevery once in a while a message with attachments will go through.  It's like a carrot on a string.

Settings verifications:  1) iMessage is turned on.  2) My phone number is listed and checked under iMessage.  3) Send as SMS is turned on.  4) MMS Messaging is turned on.  5) Group messaging is turned on.  6) None of the group members are in my Blocked list.  7) My software is up to date as of today, running iOS 13.3.  I have also tried turning off iMessage, restarting the phone, and then turning iMessage back on, but that didn’t resolve the problem either.

Not sure if it's coincidental, and I don't know if the timing fully aligns, but it seems like this problem started right around the time I switched from a 12G family plan to unlimited plans.  My spouse and children are experiencing the same problem.

This is highly frustrating, so any help would be appreciated.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is concerning to see that you are having trouble with your group messages. Our goal is to help in any way we can. Thank you for providing us with all those details. Which messaging application have you tried using? Are any of your other services being impacted? GeorginaG_VZW

0 Likes