Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
End of 3G and 4G non VoLTe coverage
rarnold2000

I received an email from Verizon stating that they are decommissioning their 3G and 4G non VoLTE networks and that multiple iphones on my account will no longer be able to make or receive texts and calls by the end of 2022.   We are seniors with two very old iphones, (5 and 7) that are just fine for our needs.   Verizon stated that only an iphone 12 or 13 will be able access the 5G network.  The implication is that our 5 and 7 will be useless after the changeover to 5G.   I think our iphone 7 will work after the changeover and that Verizon is being disingenuous  because they want us to upgrade and buy more iphone 12s and 13s.  

I had no idea what 3G, 4G, 5G, HD, VoLTE, etc. even meant so I did some research.  I discovered that our iphone 5 will, indeed,  be useless at the end of 2022 because it cannot be HD or VoLTE enabled.  However, I believe, based on my research, that my iphone 7 should continue to work without a problem so long as I have enabled VoLTE.  I followed instructions I found on-line, made sure I had the latest  iOS version, set the iphone 7 to LTE and turned on VoLTE.  Having done that, I believe my phone will be useable to make and receive calls and texts, and access data after the changeover.  Maybe slower, however.   I am guessing this would also be true for the iphone 8 and 11 so long as they are using the latest version of iOS.    Will someone who is tech savvy and really understands this stuff, please let me know if I am right or wrong.   

If I'm right,  shame on Verizon for implying, while not actually stating, that all phones below the 12 will not be usable.  If they really wanted to be forthcoming, they would have explained clearly that these older iphones can be configured to allow use on 4G VoLTE.  If I'm wrong, oh my, what do I do now?

Re: End of 3G and 4G non VoLTe coverage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

rarnold2000, our goal is to handle these situations with integrity while providing you with the best technology to ensure you have a reliable network experience. 4G phones that are capable of activating HD Voice/VoLTE will still operate on the network. Therefore the iPhone 7 will still function as normal when the CDMA network is retired. The iPhone 5, 5C 5S, and prior devices will need to be upgraded to newer technology. Here is a web page https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/ with the details. We apologize for any information received about the iPhone 7. It's possible that you received offers to upgrade all devices just in case you were interested in all new phones. Does this information help? 

-David

0 Likes
PSL71

Dear Customer Support, 

Thank you for your information indicating the iPhone 7 will still function as normal when the CDMA network is retired late this year. 

Like rarnold2000, I too received the email from Verizon concerning the CDMA Network Retirement which made me search to determine if my iPhones 6, 7 and HUM + 1st Generation are 3G, 4G or Non-VoLTE.  I Googled and found the following steps:

Enable VoLTE on iPhone/iOS Device

1. Tap Settings.
  2. Tap Cellular.
  3. Ensure the Cellular Data switch is in the “on” position.
  4. Tap Cellular Data Options.
  5. Tap Voice & Data.
  6. Ensure LTE is selected (has a checkmark). If not, tap.
  7. Ensure the VoLTE slider is in the “on” position.

From this I determined our iPhone 6 and 7 both support VoLTE and therefore, should continue to function after the retirement of the CDMA network by Dec. 31, 2022. 

In addition I found this information via Google:

So the iPhones with VoLTE support include:

• iPhone 6.
  • iPhone 6 Plus.
  • iPhone 6s.
  • iPhone 6s Plus.
  • iPhone SE.
  • iPhone 7.
  • iPhone 7 Plus.

QUESTION 1: 
Can you please verify the accuracy of the above list of iPhone models that support VoLTE?

QUESTION 2: 
Does the HUM + 1st Generation support VoLTE? The link to the Verizon Knowledge Base article you kindly provided only states "Various Hum + models".  Can you tell me if the Hum + 1st Generation model will continue to function after Verizon retires the CDMA network?  If it will not, can you advise which model(s) of Hum does support VoLTE?

I appreciate your assistance in helping me demystify what action, if any, I need to take in response to the e-mail Verizon sent on 1/25/2022.

Kind regards 

PSL71

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello, PSL71.

Thank you for reaching out. You are correct, the iPhone 6 and 6+ do support VoLTE.

As for the HUM device, we want to ensure we give you accurate information for the specific model you have, so please reach out to us in a Private Note so that we can review your account.

*Celeste

LarryG-SIA

First off want to thank rarnold2000 and PSL71 for starting the thread.

All the above is for iPhone users, so to be more complete, can we also address Android phones, specifically the Samsung Galaxy S series.

According to the Verizon Community posting linked in the subject email (https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813) and all the information I can find online, a Galaxy S8 is Vo-LTE compatible. It is S4 and Prior that are not compatible.

As for my S8 (SM950U, Android v9, Verizon System Update 39) best I can find is the Mobile Voice and Data Network Type settings in the following location: Apps->Settings->About Phone->Status->SIM Card Status. Here you will find the Mobile Voice and Data Network Types set to LTE. That would indicate the Voice Network is LTE and therefore, Vo-LTE compatible.  Searched high and low on the Settings pages for anything that explicitly stated "Vo-LTE" but was not successful at finding anything.  Therefore, am assuming the Mobile Voice Network Type is that setting.

Now what leaves a bad taste in my mouth from Verizon is their email states "Multiple mobile numbers on your account will be impacted". Given there are only TWO voice lines on the account, an S4 and S8, that would imply that both phones are affected. When all the data above states only the S4 is impacted. If Verizon is going to "customize" their mass emails to each Customers' account then please do a better job.

Would greatly appreciate vzw_customer_support commenting on the above so that Galaxy S Series Customers get a little more info on their choice phone.

Thank you.
LarryG

fandeHk

Here for the same info. I bought an unlocked S9 to replace my husband's broken verizon S9.  All the settings are the same as mine but I am getting the communication that his will not work after 12/31/22.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello fandeHk,

Where did you purchase this replacement phone?

-Christopher

0 Likes