Voice problem between iPhone and VOIP phone.
kwholmes40

In the last month, when I call my mother from my iPhone to her VOIP phone ( she uses Charter for her connection ), I'm able to hear her, but she is unable to hear me. If the call is initiated from her end using the same 2 devices, both of us can hear each other.

My brother also is having the same issue with his iPhone using Verizon as his carrier.

I'm trying to figure out whether this is an iPhone problem or a Verizon problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Voice problem between iPhone and VOIP phone.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is indeed a strange occurrence, kwholmes40. We definitely want you to be able to reach your mother and not have it be a chore to hold a conversation. Let’s get started figuring this out. To clarify, your brother has the same issue when he calls her from his VZW phone as well, correct? Is his phone on a separate account from yours? When specifically did this issue first start happening? What happens if you call other contacts?

JosephE_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kwholmes40

Hello,

Thanks for contacting me. To be brief: My brother and I both use iPhones, both with separate Verizon accounts. He has the same problem: if either of us calls her VOIP ( Charter Cable ) phone, We can hear her, but she is unable to hear us. If she calls either of us using the same devices, the call works normally.

The problem started roughly one month ago. I spent some time messaging with a Verizon support person last Tuesday. One of the steps taken was to reset the carrier settings on my iPhone. This didn't fix the problem.

My brother has the same VOIP service with Charter, so I tried making a call to that phone from my iPhone. There were no problems on either end of that call.

The strange thing is that we've tried plugging a different phone into her VOIP hookup, which didn't fix the problem. He had a friend call her with his mobile phone that uses a different carrier, and that call worked normally.

I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for those additional details. We're equally stumped especially since it works when calling your brother. Can you tell us if the VoIP devices receive some type of over-the-air update to ensure the firmware is kept up-to-date? If so, do you know if your mom's unit received any updates prior to this issue starting or if maybe an update is needed. Also, if you disable the "Enable LTE" for voice & Data (but leaving it on for 'data only' under Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options>Enable LTE) on your iPhone when calling her, is she then able to hear you when you call her?

EbonyR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kwholmes40

Thanks for the reply.

I tried disabling the LTE for Voice and Data, which didn’t fix the problem.

My mother is 90 years old and has no idea what a firmware update is, so she couldn’t say whether or not there had been one.

My tech averse brother says that he’s going to contact Charter to discuss this with them. Until he does so I don’t have any other leads to follow.

Thus far it appears not to be an Apple problem.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes