Why is my caller id showing unknown caller?
doctr728
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5S to an iPhone 7.  I work for a school district and when someone calls me from a landline within the school district I get an Unknown Caller instead of a number or contact.  Anyone having this issue ?  I did not have this issue with the 5S and I do not like answering Unknown calls.  Turns out the calls are coming from my supervisor or administration.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: unknown caller id
doctr728
Enthusiast - Level 2

Success !  I turned off the HD Voice option from My Verizon account and I am receiving numbers on the Caller ID from the office landlines again.

If anyone is getting Unknown calls from an Office, Hospital, Doctor's Office or Schools, go to My Verizon, look for Apps and Products, then remove HD Voice.  It worked for me on an iPhone 7 with IOS 10.1.  Good Luck !!

View solution in original post

joelr_vzw
Verizon Employee
0 Likes
doctr728
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nothing has changed except i up to iPhone 7.  Everything else on the phone is working correctly. Most of my calls from my boss are when i am on campus at work. The area code is 08690

0 Likes
doctr728
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are no error messages.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this! Does this occur with all calling numbers that are not in your contacts or just the one number?

HarleyE_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
doctr728
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I receive a call from any of our 4 schools on campus the caller ID says Unknown.  I used to get the main number for the district on my iPhone 5S.  I have a few numbers from schools in my contacts but they all come in as Unknown.  There are all landlines.  Is there a way I can talk to you on a phone ?

0 Likes
takendraw_vzw
Verizon Employee

Very interesting doctr 728. I can understand that mystery that you must feel around this issue. In changing from one phone to another, you should not have caller ID issues. Please be on the look out for a Private Message from us.

-TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
AJP79
Enthusiast - Level 2

I manage the phone system for my company and this is happening to lots of users personal phones.  When we call a Verizon phone from the office it shows up as Unknown on iPhone and Restricted on Android phones.  I think it is only happening to users who have been upgraded to HD voice.  OI would absolutely love to figure out why.

0 Likes
doctr728
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, I will look forward to hearing from you.

0 Likes
doctr728
Enthusiast - Level 2

Someone told me that it has something to do with the dual processors in the new phones.  The processor has to determine if it is a phone call or data.

0 Likes