iPhone 7 1x 3g LTE Cycling
toddpratt
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I responded to another thread where people were having this exact same problem but for some reason they locked the thread after I posted.  Here is my problem:

My iPhone 7 keeps switching to 1x and then 3G from LTE. When I put it in and out of Airplane mode it'll go to LTE and stay there for a few minutes. I brought it to the Verizon store and replaced sim, reset all network settings, upgraded carrier settings, upgraded software, restored as new.  The store even ordered me a replacement device a couple days ago.  Unfortunately, it did the exact same thing.  I switched from AT&T to Verizon last December and never had any issue with AT&T or iPhone 6s.  The problem area for me seems to be in zip code 92011.  Otherwise, I am almost always in wifi and don't notice the issue.

Any help with this?

Thanks,

Todd

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone 7 1x 3g LTE Cycling
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

toddpratt, We understand how important it is for you to have service. Do not worry we will take a closer look at this for you.  I sent you a private message so that we can provide some personal support?

Ralpht_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dmichaelowenjr

This is also happening to me, on an iPhone X. It happened with my iPhone 6s too but has gotten worse since I upgraded. It's a huge problem - happens to me many times a day, especially on the subway.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

0 Likes
dmichaelowenjr

I'm in 11206. I've only noticed it on the train.

Usually what happens is that I have an LTE connection, then we move to another station and it reconnects on 1x or sometimes 3G. I can usually get it to connect to LTE if I toggle Airplane Mode, but not always.

When I'm connected to 1x or 3G, it seems that no data is being transmitted at all — it's not just slower. I'll sometimes get error messages in apps saying I don't have a network connection.

One other data point: If I am actively using my phone, it *never* reconnects to LTE when we get to a new station.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I do appreciate your clarifying Dmichaelowenjr. I understand wanting to go on your phone during your commute. I am unfamiliar with the area but can you clarify if the train goes underground? How is your service when you get off the train? Is anyone else having this issue?

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dmichaelowenjr

Sorry, by train I mean subway, and yes it's all underground.

There are cellular antennae in each station but not between them, so the phone is reconnecting in each station.

I usually have to toggle Airplane Mode to get to LTE when I reach my final station, but from there on it usually stays connected to LTE.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate these details, dmichaelowenjr. I understand this happened with your previous device. Did that device also have to be toggled in order to reconnect to LTE? Please ensure your device is up to date with both software and carrier settings. For software, you can go to Settings>General>Software Update. For carrier settings, please go to Settings>General>About>Carrier. If an update is available you will be prompted to install it.

AndreaS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dmichaelowenjr

Yes, the behavior was the same with my iPhone 6s, but it happened less frequently. My iPhone X fails to connect to LTE as we arrive in every subway station, whereas with the 6s it was a little more sporadic.

My system software and carrier settings are up to date. I always install new updates immediately.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dmichaelowenjr,

I greatly appreciate you confirming. The more information we have the better. Underground coverage can certainly be a challenge and if that happened on your old phone as well it likely has more to do with the signal there than the phone. To confirm when you leave the subway does the device connect to the signal again without airplane mode? How long does it take if so?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes