iPhone 7 Plus NOT part of promotion now!?!
Jeffreyh123
Enthusiast - Level 2

My family was excited by the offer to be able to upgrade to a 7 or 7 Plus with a $650 trade-in value for our 10 month old 6S's.  (Which I took a picture of, just in case.)

Saturday morning I paid off the balances on the device plans (about $1,300 on three phones) and tried to upgrade to the Plus this evening for three lines.

It kept appraising our phones at $290 or so.  I was confused as to why it wasn't doing $650.  Then I noticed the language on the promotion no longer says get $650 in savings by buying an "iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus."  It only lists the 7.

SO incredibly frustrating.  I understand it is a "limited time offer," but to yank the promotion hours after I paid off such a large amount of zero percent loans, less than two days after it started...it just doesn't seem fair.  It feels like a bait-and-switch.  The promotion said the offer was valid in Puerto Rico until 9/30/16.  Wonder if they are really honoring it there.

Does anyone know if other carriers accept "Verizon" technology phones as trade-ins with this type of a promotion?  I am realizing that with the phones paid off, I could go anywhere.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 7 Plus NOT part of promotion now!?!
rcschnoor
Legend

Jeffreyh123 wrote:

My family was excited by the offer to be able to upgrade to a 7 or 7 Plus with a $650 trade-in value for our 10 month old 6S's. (Which I took a picture of, just in case.)

Saturday morning I paid off the balances on the device plans (about $1,300 on three phones) and tried to upgrade to the Plus this evening for three lines.

It kept appraising our phones at $290 or so. I was confused as to why it wasn't doing $650. Then I noticed the language on the promotion no longer says get $650 in savings by buying an "iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus." It only lists the 7.

I have looked at that promotion and it does not say you WILL get $650, it says you will get UP TO $650. That $290 your phones were appraised at are well within that UP TO $650 value. I'm not sure why everyone always thinks that UP TO $650 means they will get that FULL amount.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

Could it be shipping times are now extending past 9/30/16?

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I can agree with that. Also, limited time can be a half hour6 hours, today. It doesn't matter. Limited time is limited time. And i will say this: as to why anyone would BELIEVE that Verizon or any other carrier would give you THAT dollar amount for a used phone is beyond me. The old adage if it's too good to be true it probably is?applies here frfr

rcschnoor
Legend

Jeffreyh123 wrote:

My family was excited by the offer to be able to upgrade to a 7 or 7 Plus with a $650 trade-in value for our 10 month old 6S's. (Which I took a picture of, just in case.)

It kept appraising our phones at $290 or so. I was confused as to why it wasn't doing $650. Then I noticed the language on the promotion no longer says get $650 in savings by buying an "iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus." It only lists the 7.

I have looked at that promotion and it does not say you WILL get $650, it says you will get UP TO $650. That $290 your phones were appraised at are well within that UP TO $650 value. I'm not sure why everyone always thinks that UP TO $650 means they will get that FULL amount.

Jeffreyh123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rcschnoor,

i understand the concept of "up to". But in this case, the promotion was designed to get you to buy a new model and provide you with the full $650 if the phone is in good working order.  (You answer four questions about the phone.  Mine is a pristine 10-month old phone.)

If if I choose to upgrade to an iPhone 7 instead of a 7 Plus, the trade-in value offered is $650.  The promotion takes effect by offering me the $290 it is "really" worth and a promotional value of $360.  I know multiple people who on Saturday upgraded to a Plus and were given $650. 

Having gotten ten my sights set on a Plus, and paying $1,300 of phone balances off to upgrade, I was disappointed the promotion changed a few hours later.

Pherson: they will give me $650 for my phone if I get an iPhone 7. They offered it.  They gave it to me for my daughter's 15-month-old iPhone 6 as well. Multiple friends were given it. It is not the true value of the phone of course.  The reason they will pay the difference is to retain you as a customer for 24 months. The promotion is to give you $650 in credits over 24 months, and the credits stop if you pay off your phone early. They will probably sell the phones re-furbished for $400 or so, and they will "lose" $10 per month on the deal.  While still collecting $60-$80 per customer.

0 Likes
Jeffreyh123
Enthusiast - Level 2

And actually, it doesn't say "up to". It says "get iPhone 7 for $0 when you trade in select iPhone models."  If you trade in any 6 or 6S in good working order for a 7, you get the $650. again, they were giving the $650 on Plus's as well when I decided to upgrade and paid off my devices.  That option was gone a short time later.

It it is what it is, obviously.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The website specifically says "up to". I just looked. Also there are many variables. 9 times out of ten hardly anyone ever will get that amount. And no one has been "given@ it yet. It's subject to finsl inspection by the warehouse.

0 Likes
Jeffreyh123
Enthusiast - Level 2

pherson,

I was just able to successfully upgrade all three phones to Plus's, with a $650 trade-in credit for each. 
(Obviously subject to confirmation the phone is in working order without any screen or battery issues.)

Feel free to start a chat and ask VZ customer service.  The "up to" amount is because it varies based on the MODEL of the phone.  5 and 5S's get $400.  Android phones get $200, $300, etc.

It is NOT based on how pristine your phone is.  They are offering a promotion to give you $650 if you trade in a 6 or 6S.  I have done it four times now over the past 12 hours.  Yes, it is above market value.  But it is similar to a $200 gift card being offered to buy a phone at Sam's Club or something.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Apparently you have failed to read the promotion information that DOES state the condition. You will figured it when you don't see that trade in credit. Mark my words.

case closed

0 Likes
Jeffreyh123
Enthusiast - Level 2

So my original concern, that the $650 was only being offered if buying a 7 (and it would change to $290 if buying a 7 Plus - something I saw repeatedly as I tried to place the order) is no longer a concern.  This morning, the trade-in valuation for a 6 or 6S is at $650 if you get a 7 OR a 7 Plus on a monthly installment plan and click that the old phone turns on, the screen is not cracked, there is no battery swelling, and you will have any anti-lock feature turned off.

0 Likes