Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,476 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
voicemail mailbox says invalid mailbox number
fdentici
Enthusiast - Level 1

Voicemail comes up with a small box saying call voicemail.  I do, enter my 10 digit phone number, and it says invalid mailbox try again.  I reset my voicemail password.  No change.  I turned off wifi. No change.  I disabled call forwarding.  No change.  Anything else I can do?

Labels (1)
Re: voicemail mailbox says invalid mailbox number
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried dialing *86 to access the voicemail?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Misterfung
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I dial *86 it’s the same as pressing the “Call Voicemail” button.

0 Likes
Misterfung
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem. It wasn’t like this before. It would ask me a password and then id be in to listen to messages. Now it tells me “Welcome to the Message Management System” and asks me to enter the number of the person I want to send a message to (this makes little sense since I’m trying to listen to my own voicemail). To listen to my own, press #.  Then it asks for a mailbox number, which I don’t have. I tried using my phone number and my old voicemail password, and neither work.

What‘s weird is my wife also has an iPhone on Verizon and she doesn’t have the “Call Voicemail” button, but instead a list of voicemails and their associated numbers. She can play them directly and not have to call in.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like your voicemail isn't setup.

Voicemail Setup - Apple iPhone | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Misterfung
Enthusiast - Level 2

Visual voicemail is not set up. It’s pretty much what’s going on here: iPhone Visual Voicemail Issues

But the more pressing problem, same as OP, is that calling VM goes to a message center asking for a mailbox number.

0 Likes
fdentici
Enthusiast - Level 1

voicemail was setup, just stopped working.  I did a full recover and still not working.  Calling support once I find the time to wait on the phone!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Fdentici I definitly understand the importance of have your voicemail working properly. We truly would like the opportunity to look into this further. Please respond to our private message, so we can better assist you. 

JoelD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important that you are able to listen to your voicemails, Misterfung. Is your visual voicemail application up to date? When did you first notice this was an issue? Did you have any major updates around the time you were unable to access your voicemail?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
Misterfung
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use the Phone app that's included in the iOS operating system and it is up to date.

As far as visual voicemail, it's never worked on this phone. I used to have it on T-Mobile and when I got this phone in March 2017 and switched to Verizon I just figured Verizon didn't support it.

As for no access to voicemail, I noticed this May 2, but it could have been going on much longer because I had no notification that I had voicemails and so no reason to call in. As of today it's gotten worse. Pressing the "Call Voicemail" or dialing *86 results in "Call Failed."

The last major update I did was to iOS 11.3, which would have been in early April. Don't know for sure if that's related since I don't get voicemails often.

0 Likes