Asurion Fraud
jbrock001

I reported a cracked screen on my iphone 8+ to Asurion in January 2021.  After back and forth, they scheduled a tech to come out 2/14/2021. They canceled by text and rescheduled for 2/19. They canceled again by text and asked for a new date convenient to me. I told them any time and then they never responded to the text. I called Asurion again in March and they said they would reschedule. They scheduled for 3/16 at 3pm and I waited all day for them. I got a text right before time saying they were coming. I then got another text asking if there was cracked screen in front, back or both. I told them the front was cracked and that was the problem. I looked at the back and there was a tiny scratch/crack on top that was not a problem and any situation would be characterized as normal wear and tear. They told me that they could not repair with “any other damage” and gave me a number that was supposedly Asurion but was really Verizon. After 15 minutes, Verizon transferred me to Asurion and kept me on hold for 15 minutes. I got another useless rep, on hold for 15 minutes and after 20 minutes of hollow dribble was transferred to the supposed big dog Sydney. I experienced the usual 15-minute hold and Sydney repeated the same dribble which I told her was unacceptable. She transferred me to Andrew at the ‘Office of the CEO’ and I got only a 5-minute hold. He had a deep voice and did not say a word trying to project the alpha male. Eventually he mumbled a few words. I asked if I had to repeat the entire experience and he said he had been briefed and did not really care about my situation. He stated there was some clause in an obscure online contract that said I had to do a replacement if there was any other damage and pay a $200 deductible instead of the $29 repair cost. I have looked for this clause in the terms and condition and could find none and many online have said the same thing.  Besides, the only other damage would be normal wear and tear but they never looked at that. Note we offered to send it in or go to designated repair shop, but they insisted they would send a technician out.

I told Andrew I believed I had figured out his scheme since I had experienced their service over the past 5 years and after paying them over $1500. The carriers AT&T and Verizon, who are tied at the hip with Asurion, provide them an endless supply of trade ins and they have another huge source from the damaged phones they replace with the same previously damaged phones. Every possible fix requires a $200 deductible payment. A cracked screen on an iPhone is supposed to be $29. If there is a small scratch on the back of the phone, it is a $200 replacement. My tech explained they do this because it impacts the value they can put on the phone for use as a replacement validating my suspicion about this scheme. You pay them a large monthly premium then you have damage which Apple will say is not their fault although cracked screens are documented everywhere on the internet.  Then instead of doing the minor repair you have been paying them premiums for, they want $200 for an unneeded replacement. We have had previous experience and the replacement is an old, poorly refurbished phone which has the same wear and tear that the phone they replaced had or, like the last replacement, had a battery that would not take a charge which they would gladly replace for another $200. In summary, you pay a premium for their coverage which always requires $200 for a replacement that is worthless. They make a profit off every insurance claim as well  as premiums they collect. I do not think that is how insurance is supposed to work.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Asurion Fraud
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jbrock001. We are disheartened to hear of your experience with your cracked screen repair claim. Did they ask for any photos of the scratch on the back of the phone or have a technician take a look at the back?   CassieG_VZW

0 Likes
jbrock001

After going through scheduling and missed appointments for 3 months they texted after saying they were on the way asking if there were any cracks on the back. I told them normal wear and tear scratches.

Bottom line is I explained the fraudlant process. Do you want to respond here that is not the process?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're concerned to hear about the issues you have been having with getting your screen repaired through Asurion. We would recommend contacting Asurion right away so that they can go over their process with you. You can reach them directly at, 1-888-881-2622.

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes