Poor wifi call quality
mikDAY92
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in an area with weak cell service, so I have to make calls over my wifi network, but when I make a call other people say that I sound like a robot. Also, when they are speaking, the sound will completely drop every few words that they speak. Everything is fine with my modem and router connection. Call quality is fine when I drive away from my house and use cellular service.

Labels (1)
Re: Poor wifi call quality
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know the importance of always having great call quality, mikDAY92. We are here to help. Typically, Wi-Fi call quality is affected by internet speeds. Are you getting good internet speeds when your call audio is not good? Have you reset your phone's network settings to ensure it is connecting properly? http://vz.to/2g5Ms2t  

Also, what zip code are you located at? How far away from your home do you need to be for our network calling to work for you? What type of signal and how many dots do you get at your home?

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GARBAT15
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been frustrated by this for about 3 years since we moved into a neighborhood with sketchy cell service. I was never able to learn anything from Verizon or the internet that made any sense at all. I have 1mbps upload and 10mbps download speeds from router but Verizon Wifi Calling is virtually unusable due to missing parts of the conversation. I had exactly the same problem with the Verizon Extender that was wired into the router that I have with Wifi calling until I got so frustrated with it that I threw it in the trash.

Now I use Skype on my desktop or my cell phone for outbound calls but that doesn't solve the issue for incoming calls. Could someone please explain why Skype works and Netflix works over WiFi/Internet but Verizon does not? The fact that it does tells me that there is something inferior or proprietary about the way Verizon is using voip and the method is apparently the same for WiFi or extender. I suspect it has something to do with packet prioritization or length or something, but there is no way for anyone to troubleshoot any of the mess because no details are provided and Verizon doesn't know how?

Trust me. Nobody is going to try to copy your protocol. Why don't you just use some standardized method of transport that routers just support as a matter of course - like Skype?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GARBAT15,

We always try our hardest to provide the assistance needed when you are having difficulties with service. I'm sorry to read that the wifi calling feature is not working well for you. While we always can troubleshoot our network, it is hard for us to understand why another network; such as a wifi connection would be giving you problems. However, let's look into this a bit further for you to see what can be done. When you connect to any other wifi network & use wifi calling, do you get the same results? Do you know any other Verizon Wireless customers that connect to your wifi connection & experiencing the same trouble? To clarify, what make & model phone are you using? (This forum shows it was categorized under the iPhone 8, but I don't want to assume that is the phone you are using.)

Alicia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
HappyTarheel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue. The Verizon VOIP app does not manage quality the way other, free VOIP calling apps do.  I turn on airplane mode and enable Verizon WIFI calling and 80% of the time people say I am breaking up. It's not my router nor Internet connection because I make calls over Skype, What'sApp or GoogleVoice and the calls are always excellent. 

Verizon WIFI calling is horrible. I guess they have little incentive to make it work well, but VOIP calling has been around for overa decade.  

realgoodthen
Enthusiast - Level 1

same exact problem described by other people here. I have tried all solutions and nothing works. Im currently on a Pixel 3 but have had same issue with Pixel 1 and Samsung Note devices. 

josephinoz
Enthusiast - Level 2

i have same issues, in or outside of wifi.  Have weak, 3G or no signal in middle of Houston.  All VZ can tell me, "oh maybe you need to replace your phone" (its 18 months old)

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

wi-fi is accessed thru your internet provider & not a verizon issue.

0 Likes
NOLAguy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same issues as well with iPhone 6, and X.  I had the same issues when I had ATT DSL (1 MBS up, 10 MBS down) and when I switched to a fast (20MBS UP/200 MBS down) cable service.  I had the same issues with all my wireless access points being, first Apple, then Samsung.  We get 1 cell bar in the house, and I can be in the same room as the access point and every 3rd to 4th word is cut out, or it goes soft, then robotic.  I doubt it is using the WiFi, but instead trying to use the cell signal.

When I call on WhatsAp, which is only WiFi, the voice quality is fine, so it has to be on the Verizon side, they just haven't figured it out, which is VERY FRUSTRATING.

bearone21
Legend

wi-fi's good with whatsapp & you think it's a verizon issue!!

0 Likes