Status of reporting spam text messages
hilsons
Enthusiast - Level 2

For several months, I have been receiving daily about 5 spam text messages addressed to "Nunez" with a link to click.  I do not respond and I do not click the link.  I have blocked the numbers these texts are sent from, but they continually change the number.  I have also copied each message and sent them to 7726 Verizon Tech support/security as well as the phone number it was sent from.  I then delete the text.

I have also talked to tech support and asked what they can do.  I have to believe tech support should be able to do a keyword search (i.e. "Nunez") to block these spam texts.  Tech support says they don't have this capability and I should consider changing my phone number.  I do not want to go through this.

I never see any status updates or results from the Verizon security team or tech support. So what exactly do they do with the messages and numbers we report to them?

I am requesting communication and a resolution.  We should not have to be subjected to this.  My next step is to file a complaint with the FCC.

Please let's figure out how to resolve this issue!!

Labels (1)
Re: Status of reporting spam text messages
bearone21
Legend

good luck with your fcc complaint.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hilsons, unwanted text messages are a nuisance. We want you to have a good experience with all services. We are here to work toward a resolution. At times these messages have the option to reply back with the word STOP to unsubscribe. Has there been any reference to that in the messages that you receive? 

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
hilsons
Enthusiast - Level 2

No - there is no "STOP"  For several months, I have been blocking the caller, copying the message, sending it and the number to Verizon support at 7726, then deleting the message.  I never hear any updates from Verizon on what reporting these to 7726 does.  It seems to be a useless, time consuming effort.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear that you haven't had any success with stopping these messages just yet, hilsons. Is the number that is texting you a 5-6 digit number or a 10 digit number? There is no need to post the actual number here. How are you blocking the number? Are you blocking the number through the iPhone software or on My Verizon? Here is how to block on My Verizon: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers/ While there are a few options here, you can go see the instructions titled "My Verizon - Block specific numbers temporarily" if needed. Here is more about blocking on the iPhone software: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
hilsons
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ryan,

No, I have had no luck in stopping these messages for several months.  Some of the messages now include adult content.  The calls come in from 10 digit phone numbers and they are never the same so blocking the number seems to be useless.  This is what I do:

I write down the phone number, select info on the phone number on my IPhone and select "block caller".  I then copy the text message and paste/send it to Verizon support at 7726.  I delete the message from my phone.  I receive a text from Verizon asking me for the number so I send the number to Verizon.  Then I receive another text thanking me for my assistance and suggesting I go to My Verizon/Block Calls and Messages.  I never receive any status or feedback from all the submissions I have made!

I am also a subscriber to Verizon's "Call Filter" and another spam app called "Hiya".

I am beyond frustrated with this whole situation.  I am going above and beyond the steps most people would take or even know how to take, not to mention how time consuming this is on a daily basis.  And now I have resorted to this Forum for help.

Although the phone numbers these texts are sent from are never the same, the message content is always addressed to "....." (will not put the name here for security purposes) and always includes a link (which I never click on).

For a company as large as you are and with the technical support base you have, I feel you should be able to stop my phone from receiving these texts, i.e. doing a keyword search to block them.

It has also been suggested that I change my cell phone number, but I don't want to and don't feel I should have to do that.

Please do something!

Thank you.

Sharon

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hilsons, I completely understand your frustration and sincerely apologize for the experience you are having with the unwanted calls. I will submit feedback to improve the measures to protect from the spam calls. At this time, changing the number at no cost and Call Filter feature are the options we have to assist in the spam calls. We do appreciate your patience with us in this matter. 

RodneyM_VZW

0 Likes
MediaRD
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can you tell me what address and department to send a complaint to the FCC.  Is a complaint about spam to the FCC likely to have any beneficial results?  In other words, if Verizon won't do anything about spam complaints, what will the FCC do?

0 Likes
MediaRD
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree!  Why can't a huge company like Verizon develop a more effective way to block and discourage spammers from doing what they do?  Why should the victims, those who receive unwanted spam, have to read the text and then click "Stop" if they don't want to receive other texts from the same number, especially if their phone number is on a "Do Not Call" list?

I wish Congress would pass legislation with sanctions for those who violate those laws and give the FCC the power to implement and enforce this matter.  As an example, an escalating series of fines that double and redouble with continued violations.  I have seen such legislation work at the local level for people who are a noise nuisance to their neighbors.  After a few fines from the city, the people creating the nuisance mend their ways.  Is this something the FCC could do on the national level?

jav6
Champion - Level 3

@MediaRD wrote:

I agree!  Why can't a huge company like Verizon develop a more effective way to block and discourage spammers from doing what they do?  Why should the victims, those who receive unwanted spam, have to read the text and then click "Stop" if they don't want to receive other texts from the same number, especially if their phone number is on a "Do Not Call" list?

I wish Congress would pass legislation with sanctions for those who violate those laws and give the FCC the power to implement and enforce this matter.  As an example, an escalating series of fines that double and redouble with continued violations.  I have seen such legislation work at the local level for people who are a noise nuisance to their neighbors.  After a few fines from the city, the people creating the nuisance mend their ways.  Is this something the FCC could do on the national level?

Geez, clicking 'Stop' or clicking ANY link in the message just lets the spammer know that you are there, reading the message and your number is valid.  Probably leaves you open to getting MORE spam texts.  I just delete the messages.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes