Surcharges and taxes - Verizon is engaged in thievery
wdogmx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently went overseas for a few weeks and turned on a month's worth of international calling on my wireless plan, but when the bill came in, I saw I was charged twice - once for my own number and once for my wife's number which was on the same account.  I set up a chat with a Verizon rep hoping to correct the problem.  The rep checked my wife's calling usage during the relevant period and found that (as I already knew) she was in the States while I was overseas, and cancelled the erroneous charge.  But then I was told I would have to pay the surcharges and taxes on the erroneous amount anyway because "that's up to the states and Verzion can't do anything about it."  This is of course nonsense.  Surcharges and taxes are calculated on the basis of the amount charged for services.  If that basis changes, so do the extra charges.  That's why they call it a tax!  A surcharge and tax on zero is zero.  This is not the first time I have heard of Verizon pulling this sort of thing.  It amounts to theft.  In fact it's enough for me to wonder if the erroneous charge was mistakenly billed in the first place with this scam in mind.  The result is that I was surcharged and taxed on services I did not order or receive, and when confronted, Verizon said tough luck, we're pocketing the cash.  Scam and a half.

Labels (1)
Re: Surcharges and taxes - Verizon is engaged in thievery
wdogmx
Enthusiast - Level 1

O yeah.  Next stop Facebook.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the error and inconvenience. The tax and surcharges are normally credited after a charge is credited. This is done automatically. Have you receive another invoice since the credit was applied? DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
JPablo461
Enthusiast - Level 1

April 4th: bill arrives with $6.93 in extra taxes without a change in service billed to justify. ($6.83 taxes on $0 charges)

April 6th: chat with representative, I’m explained that this was an error, and I’m given a $7 credit.

April 23rd: Verizon autopay pays my bill with credit applied: $437 ($444 - $7). 

April 24th: check to make sure everything is paid, it is.

May 6th: next bill is generated, I’m $7 past due, my bill is $451.?

i called again and they told me that “the $7 credit was an error because taxes are billed by the state and we have no control over that” 

of course this comes after being on hold for 30 minutes while I “take a look into the account”

how these reps wash their hands!
Write a letter to Verizon, fcc, and bbb. They will solve disputes!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can definitely understand having questions about how your State Sales tax works on your billing, and would be more than happy to help explain. The taxes you are charged on your bill is charged based on the tax laws of your City, and State in order to stay compliant. This means that any changes in your local sales taxes will affect your monthly bill, and would change the monthly amount that your would see charged for taxes.  AlfredoR_VZW

0 Likes
karaokegeek

I recently decided to put money into my Verizon account online. I have a prepaid plan that I usually pay over the phone with my credit card and have no issues. it seemed easier to put $200 into my account and have them take it from there. the next thing I know there was $222 deposited and $22 taken from that deposit. I found out I was charged the $22 dollars for Michigan taxes and 911 fees. I did the whole chat thing trying to get answers and they told me the same thing they told you, how the state just takes it and theres nothing they can do about it. I got taxed on money that I deposited into my Verizon account and am blown away. I feel like I was mugged!! total garbage in my opinion and guess ill have to accept it as a Stupid Tax. I cant get any other answers. if I would have called like normal, I would be $22 richer! DONT DEPOSIT $ INTO YOUR VERIZON ACCOUNT or pay a stupid tax!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

karaokegeek, we understand your frustration. The taxes are based on the amount collected and these are paid in advance of any services used. This is why we strongly encourage customers to set up Auto Pay for ensuring funds are always there when it is time to renew a plan. This way, you are only paying the taxes as you use the services, not in advance as is what happened in your case. It is not something that Verizon chooses to do, but rather is required by Federal, State and local governments on any transaction. I hope this helps you understand this for the future and helps you decide how best to keep your funds replenished. - ErichC_VZW

0 Likes