Why can't I get a dial tone after upgrading my iPhone 6 Plus to an 8?
novieddie

I upgraded from an iPhone 6 plus to an 8 and while i can load everything else, my phone does not work. no dial tone. my old phone still works.

I upgraded from an iPhone 6 plus to an IPhone 8 and followed all the activate instructions but I cannot make or get a call. I kept my current phone number.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I upgraded from an iphone 6plus to  an 8 and while i can load everything else, my phone does not work. no dial tone. my old phone still works.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you use the SIM card from the iPhone 6+ or use the new SIM card in the iPhone 8? You should turn off the iPhone 6+ and remove the SIM card. Only one SIM card can be active on a line at a time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Why can't I get a dial tone after upgrading my iPhone 6 Plus to an 8?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I definitely want to be sure we get your new phone working, novieddie. If your old phone is still working, the cellular service on that old device needs to be turned off before the new phone can program and work. As Ann154 mentioned, you’ll only be able to have one SIM card activated to your mobile number at a time. Are you planning to use the same SIM from your iPhone 6 Plus on your iPhone 8? Can you please share the steps you took for the activation instructions you mentioned? Also, please turn on Airplane Mode for your iPhone 6 Plus (Settings > Airplane Mode) which will turn off all the cellular service but still allow you to access information on the phone or even connect it to Wi-Fi. Once you have the iPhone 6 Plus either powered off or in Airplane Mode, try power cycle your iPhone 8 and dial #832 and press send to see if you hear your test call was successful.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
novieddie

Jennifer,

I switched the sim card from the old phone to the new but when I try and make a call I get a message from Verizon saying the numbers I called are either not in service or not available. Plus I can't receive any calls. if I call my cell  phone number it just goes to voice mail and never rings on my phone.

However, when I switched the sim cards all my contacts moved to the new phone.

I just followed the activate procedure on the phone originally but the phone never could make or answer calls.

0 Likes
novieddie

Actually the message I get from Verizon is that my wireless number is not active. Please contact your wireless provider.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for those details novieddie. At this point, we will want to contact you directly to get you up and running with your new phone. So that we can get started, I have sent you a Private Message. Thanks in advance.

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes