Why is my phone using data when on wifi?
PSSMULLER
Enthusiast - Level 1

I upgraded to an iPhone 8 plus in September and since then my usage has been over 3gigs per month, even though I'm on wifi most of the day.  I've checked and I am connected to the WiFi but have large amounts of data being used throughout the day.  Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
Re: Why is my phone using data when on wifi?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have Wi-Fi Assist off? Do you manually turn off the cellular data connection when you expect to be connected to a wifi router for extended periods of time?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PSSMULLER, ensuring that you have full understanding of your phone's data usage is our goal. Help is here as I know how important it is to save on your monthly data plan. Let's get started. Ann154 asked a great question. When Wi-Fi Assist is on, it could cause issues when using your Wi-Fi if the signal is weak. To turn off this feature, click the link provided for the steps and keep us posted on your progress. http://spr.ly/6587DBR6F

Verizon_Customer_Serivce

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the *Correct Answer* button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
PSSMULLER
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello-

WiFi assist is turned off and I’ve had it off since I activated my phone. I️ have background app refresh off as well.

Thank you!

Michele

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a great start, PSSMULLER. That you've had the WiFi Assist off. Can you tell me how much data you were using before you got this phone?Also, what phone did you previou

If you go to Settings > Cellular > scroll down to the bottom, it will show what is consuming data. Whenever you're not connected to WiFi, what is checked in green, (under Cellular), is running data, and this can add up pretty fast. We recommend unchecking anything that you do not want to run data when you are not connected to WiFi.

VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

mythdenzel
Enthusiast - Level 1

instructions for a samsung device please

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sure thing. What is the make and model of your Samsung device?

DavidH_VZW

0 Likes