doubled my data usage
IRONMIKERECYCLE

Is this an apple thing? I switched from an android smartphone to an iPhone 8 Plus and more than double my data usage without doing anything more than  I did with my droid. Verizon not much help. What gives?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: doubled my data usage
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Have you disabled Background App Refresh?

Have you changed all of your streaming apps to use lower quality when on LTE?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

IRONMIKERECYCLE, we want you to get the most out of your data especially with a new phone. Sprmankalel has some great questions and we have some additional ones to help find out what’s using so much data. Did you recently purchase the new iPhone? We know many people will download a lot of new apps/games so this can cause extra usage for the first month or two. How much data usage have you used? What do you normally do on your phone on a daily basis? Also, here’s a great link to help ensure Wifi Assist is turned off http://vz.to/2BvQuvn . If this is on, it would certainly help with your data usage.

StevenM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!! 

0 Likes
IRONMIKERECYCLE

Thanks for your response. I didnt disable background app refresh, I did set it to WiFi only.  I don’t know if I have any streaming apps, at least I haven’t downloaded any.  No games yet, either.  And after reading some q & a’s in the community, I am now only using WiFi, but that’s at home.  Is a pain to have to keep turning cellular off and on, especially when not on WiFi and need to look up something or send texts.

0 Likes
IRONMIKERECYCLE

Thanks for your response.  Yes this is a new purchase, on 01/04/2018.  Nope, haven’t downloaded any games or music. I did download Facebook and Google maps. All I do with my phone, previous phone, and now this iPhone is send and receive maybe half a dozen texts a day, look up stuff on the internet, check in on Facebook, look up and navigate to an address or two. Since 2009, the most data, ever used in a month was around 1.9GB’s, but since I got this iPhone, 3 weeks ago, I’m already at 4GB’s.   Customer service implemented a “safe mode” so I would have slow cell data but not charged overages for the remainder of this billing cycle & suges I upgrade to the unlimited data plan.  REALLY THINKING OF RETURNING IPHONE, & going back to ANDROID!!!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Turn WiFi Assist OFF

0 Likes
IRONMIKERECYCLE

Already did

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

IRONMIKERECYCLE, it's paramount that you're able to understand your data usage and manage it accordingly. With the latest and greatest technology available in both terms of new phones and upgrades to the network, the things you use data for are constantly offering a better experience, which in turn can use more data, even if your actual usage habits don't change. There's a tool on My Verizon that helps give you an idea of how your data is mostly used, though it is more an estimate than a completely accurate display. Learn more here: http://vz.to/1QMPsLG.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for taking the time to disable WiFi assist, IRONMIKERECYCLE. We want you to be able to love your new iPhone. As mentioned earlier, sometimes when a new phone is purchased and set up, you can use quite a bit of data when installing new apps or when you set up the email and have older emails sync to the phone. This is especially true if you did not set the new iPhone 8 up over WiFi. 

I am interested to see how much data is used when the next bill cycle starts.

We have another helpful site that helps keep data in check. http://vz.to/1RxGlnA

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

While you may not have used much data on Android, that may be because you had honed the settings on the apps you had on your device over time. When you download the apps again, especially on a device with a different OS, those settings may not be the same.

Facebook, for example, is a notorious data hog. There are settings in the app to auto download videos, auto play videos, etc... Have you turned those settings off in Facebook? Even if you don't watch a video but it was auto downloaded, you have already used the data.

Have you gone into your settings to determine which apps are using the most data? Apple makes this harder by not allowing you to set your billing cycle. You have to go in and reset the data counter at the beginning of each cycle in order to keep track each month. Regardless, since this is a new purchase the data usage shown would be helpful in order to figure what needs to be changed to cut back on your data usage.

0 Likes