poor signal at home
foobar23

I have had Verizon cell phone service for over 5 years, and usually have had very good reception in my home. Recently, many people have said that my voice is breaking up and they can't understand me.

It's rare for me to get one bar inside my home, and I get only 2 bars outside my house.

nearest intersection:  Candler Park Drive and North Ave  - Atlanta, 30307

If this doesn't get resolved soon, I will have no choice but to change carriers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: poor signal at home
Ventuckyspaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Make sure that you have "HD Voice" enabled on your Verizon service. If you have a prepaid account you might need to have them "upgrade" it like I had to because they don't allow unlocked phones to have VoLTE except for certain flagship phones. Make sure your "HD voice" service is on. If you have an unlocked phone like mine they block the ability to use wifi calling even when the phone totally supports it. Actually if your VoLTE is turned on you might get better service by turning it off and using the analog network (assuming it still works since the CDMA network was supposed to be retired years ago). Hope this helps. It's either because your phone isn't accessing VoLTE correctly or because it is and at your house you had or currently have a stronger CDMA signal so turning digital calling off could make calling better instead of worse. If you barely get a signal in your house I'd try a different carrier if I were you. Verizon is great but I pay their premium prices because where I live no other service reaches my house like theirs do so I wouldn't assume switching carriers would fix the issue. Try adjusting your VoLTE settings and if you're thinking about switching carriers you should make sure their service actually reaches your because in many areas Verizon is the strongest signal. Two bars gives me solid 4G service but one bar can sometimes be solid or sometimes be really flaky. Another option is Verizon can give you an 4G LTE extender to add to your internet to boost the signal in your house but I'm sure it costs more money to get one. I hope this helps.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your loyalty means a lot to us and we don't want to see you go. Having consistent wireless service is important. It is a concern that you've noticed a recent issue with indoor coverage. Thank you for providing helpful details. When did the recent issues begin? How does service when traveling away from your home? Are you using WiFi calling? 

Sherita_VZW

0 Likes
foobar23

The problems began a few months ago. 

It's not limited to inside my house, if I go outside to get a better signal, I only get 2 bars of signal, and sometimes people will say that I'm breaking up.

I have wireless voice turned on, but I don't know how to tell if a call is going over LTE or WIFI.

I notice that in other areas of Atlanta, I usually get 4-5 bars of signal.

0 Likes
poor signal at home
Ventuckyspaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can tell if VoLTE is properly turned on when you take a voice call the 4G LTE signal should not disappear. If it disappears whenever you're in the middle of a call then VoLTE isn't turned on properly. It could be on their end, a setting in your account or not properly enabled on the phone. It's easy to test just call any number and when it connects the 4G signal indicator should stay on. If it disappears that means it's using the analog network to make the call.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

foobar, although indoor coverage is not something we can fully guarantee or improve we want to ensure we're exhausting all options to help improve your service in the area overall.

We've sent you a private message to further assist. Thank you.

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
Lauraelaine77

I do have the prepay service and bought my iPhone 11 Pro Mac outright so there is no balance owed on my phone so I assume that means it is I deed unlocked? I have horrible service on this phone (at home) and also other places. Which terrible because I’ve always heard Verizon is suppose to have the best service. My husband recently switched to AT&T and has full bars at home and mostly everywhere else so I am honestly thinking of switching to that. I cannot make a phone call at home unless it’s a WiFi FaceTime call to another iPhone. Not good when I need to contact doctors to make appointments or for any other calls I need to make that aren’t iPhones. I would think with a 1300 dollar phone and Verizon service that I should not have the issues I’m having. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to boost my signal or should I just switch to AT&T? Thanks. 

0 Likes
foobar23

Well, learn something every day!

I had turned on WiFi calling, because I have a strong WiFi signal in my house.

But I noticed that my voice-over-IP phone (Ooma) had terrible quality also, and that it is a wired ethernet connection, so the problem must be in my Comcast connection.

So I turned off WiFi calling on my phone, and suddenly my problems went away.

Strange, but it worked for me!

Thanks everybody.

0 Likes
Ventuckyspaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately if you switched to AT&T you are likely to face similar restrictions on your phone because you did not buy it from them. It's kind of ironic because all the carriers were supposed to shut off their analog signals years ago and I can only assume that this year Verizon was forced to allow unlocked prepaid phones to use their digital network for phone calls (VoLTE). It sounds like your phone doesn't even get enough of a 4G signal to successfully call through. The solution if they are forcing you to still use their analog network to make calls is to call them up and try to get VoLTE enabled but I think your problem is worse than that. You need wifi calling enabled which Verizon and AT&T absolutely won't do even on post paid accounts. The only carrier that will allow all digital features that I'm aware of is T-Mobile(Sprint or whatever they globbed together into recently). Fortunately Verizon phones are totally compatible with T-Mobiles network but you very well might find that you can use wifi calling but then when you're out and about you have a lot less service areas. At least that's my experience with T-mobile before I switched to Verizon 7 years ago. Verizon forced me to change my account to a post paid one so I could enable VoLTE services on my account. They absolutely will not enable wifi calling on a phone not purchased from them. Neither will AT&T. If you haven't check yet you could make sure "HD voice" or better known as VoLTE services are enabled. I switched my account a year ago because I stopped receiving calls in my house when I bought a new phone (Not from Verizon). Your solutions would be to:

1) Contact Verizon and ask them if you do receive VoLTE services and if you don't can they enable them. Their technicians literally couldn't for me and I couldn't figure out the solution until I found out VoLTE is disabled purposely by Verizon for anybody using a prepaid account. Perhaps they have changed now that their CDMA network should have been retired.

2) Switch to T-mobile and gain VoLTE and wifi calling and see how their service is elsewhere. Since you aren't on a contract you could try switching to them and always switch back a month later. Their prepaid has no restrictions on digital calling. Personally I found their reception too unacceptable to use but we live in very different areas. Fortunately I get a decent 4G signal inside my home.

3) If you're stuck without digital voice services with Verizon you could always use Google Voice to make phone calls with and it can use wifi or 4g. You can even port your number to Google Voice and be assigned a different one from Verizon. I'm an android user so I'm assuming you can install and use Google Voice the way I can it's like having a second number and works seemlessly with my phone. Or just use whatever number you get from Google whenever you are home and start giving that out to people. When you first sign up you can keep rejecting phone numbers until one comes up that you like. Another solution would be to simply forward all your calls to Google Voice but make sure GV is setup to allow your number to ring because you can also use GB for free transcripted voicemails and if it sees you calling yourself it will immediately sent to VM unless you turn it off. It keep all the caller ID information and I'm almost positive you can download Google Voice through the Apple store.

If you need wifi calling because you don't have a good enough 4g signal in your house you have to go with option 2 or 3 or I believe you can rent a 4G extender from Verizon but then you would need a post paid account to do that.

Remember this is all to force people to purchase phones directly from them. It forced me to open a post paid account to get VoLTE but they will not enable wifi calling period. You might have better luck having a flagship Apple phone if you were to convert your account to a post paid one. I know they make some exceptions for very expensive unlocked phones. But it's built into their network to block unlocked phones to digital voice products generally and their own technicians cannot override it but they will attempt to then have no idea why it isn't working.

0 Likes
Ventuckyspaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I live in the mountains and while my internet speeds are acceptable sometimes the internet will just drop its connection randomly then pick it up a minute later. I often turn off my wifi and just use 4G on my phone for everything even though it's not quite as fast downloading its actually faster at uploading than my cable provider who has a ridiculous ratio of download to upload forced on to everyone who uses them. I'm just annoyed that I can't use the feature simply because Verizon decided to block it on all unlocked phones (certain new flagship phones might have exceptions to this) but it's not a feature I need just annoyed my phone is perfectly capable of doing it but it's Verizon's network that blocks it from being enabled. Infact I probably wouldn't even use it unless I was outside of my house and in an area with internet but no 4G reception like at my brother's house. Worse yet they don't even warn you about all of this when you sign up with an unlocked phone most agents and even technicians from Verizon and the phone manufacturer you got it from are ignorant to the built in restrictions on the network. I simply would have just gotten the phone from Verizon and "de-Verizoned" it so it was close to a stock Motorola Stylus phone. Just like I did with my mom's phone which is a Stylus we got through Verizon and has all of these "features". They shouldn't be so restrictive about phones not purchased from them. Especially when you have a post paid regular account with them. They'll have an opportunity to get you to "upgrade" at some point anyways but are hoping these restrictions will get you to do it sooner and add to the cost of your monthly bill.

0 Likes