Dramatic increase in junk text messages
badlydrawnboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

All of a sudden, about a week ago, I started to get about 3-4 junk text messages a day. Prior to that I probably received one per month. I have no idea why this increased so suddenly—I imagine that some merchant that I provided my phone number to sold it to spammers. 

The issue is that each of these comes from a new number each time. So, blocking the number or forwarding it to Verizon doesn't do much, because I just get a subsequent junk text from a different number. 

Is there anything I can do? 

Labels (1)
Re: Dramatic increase in junk text messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

badlydrawnboy, I understand your concern regarding those spam messages. Periodically I get them as well. What messaging application are you using? The one preinstalled in your phone or Verizon Messages?

0 Likes
badlydrawnboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I use Messages.app on my iPhone. These are not "periodic" spam messages. I'm getting 6-8 a day now. I just got two within the last hour. 

I installed an app on my phone (TextKiller) that has eliminated ~90% of the spam texts there, which is great. However, I am still receiving all of them on my Macbook Air through iMessage. Apple does not seem to provide any effective way of blocking them.

I would even consider changing my phone number at this point, especially since we moved to a different state about 2 years ago and I've been considering getting a new number with a local area code. But I'm wary of doing this because I suspect that eventually the spammers will get this number too. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

For additional restrictions, logging into My Verizon and using the link below will bring up each of your lines.
https://myvpostpay.verizon.com/ui/acct/secure/blocks#/
The Block emails & domains portions of the page opens when clicking the +.

Check the boxes

0 Likes